At what age did you let your kids start playing outside by themselves?

I can remember being like 5 and riding my bike down to my friends house to play or running over to the neighbors house a few streets over to play and that was normal for us. My daughter is 5 now and I don't even let her play in our yard alone lol. It seems all our neighbor kids are always in our yard without their parents out and some of them not knowing where they are. Im just curious if Im being too protective? I live on a military base and housing is fenced in so I'd think it's probably a little safer than some other places but I just don't like not being there with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Mine arent allowed outside by themselves ever and they are teens. They can go together and play or whatever teens do unsupervised but my smaller kids have to have an adult there at all times. We live in perverted time and I wont risk it.

Answer by gemgem at 10:54 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think my daughter was 2. hahaha i probably sound horrible. She has older brothers & sisters & a very loyal protective Rotweiler mix sweet dog. Also, she was only playing in my fenced in backyard that is deadbolted shut. And unless you get a booster, you can't see back there from outside our yard. I could see all of them out the window. Sometimes this was the only way to get some stuff done around the house. Shove them outside, & let them run wild!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• 18
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• (im pp and im just messing around, that is what i wish anyways)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• 4 & 6 but only together, and we live on 160 acres with basically no neighbors or roads. Our dogs protect the girls from any wildlife danger. One of the main reasons we live out here is for the rural outdoor playing that they can get without me being panicked to death about stranger danger... they are now 5 & 7 and are my country girls- very healthy and happy! Worth all that we go through to live out here! (A lot of driving!!)
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• ive let my daughter play in the FENCED backyard all by herself since she was 2..my dogs out there to, and i know that if anyone woulda tried anything hed be barking so flipping fast..lol..hes so protective of her..but we live in a safe neigborhood anyways, so ive never really has any bad thoughts about it..as for like leaving the house and goin somewhere with friends..yaa thats not gonna happen! lol not any time soon!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Last summer I started letting the, out in the yard alone--as long as I have a window open and check on them every few mins. They were 2 and 3. We have a HUGE fenced yard and live in the middle of no where. The neighbors closest to us have a little boy my sons age that comes over all the time. I love where we live. I can let the kids play outside with out worry.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I allow my 4 year old boys to play in our back yard by themselves unfortunitally they are not allowed to ride their bikes around the neighborhood unless I am with them.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I started letting them play out front without me last summer. They were 8, 6 1/2 and 5 1/2. First they were only allowed on the porch alone (which is gated and can be seen from our front windows). Then as they showed they could handle that I let them go down to our grass and play. By the end of the summer they were allowed to play on the sidewalk up to 3 houses on either side of us (my son's best friend lives 3 houses to the right of us so it was a natural boundary). The youngest of them isn't allowed off the porch if one of her siblings isn't out there. They are allowed in the backyard whenever they want. They even take the 2yo out with them. Last summer she wasn't allowed out front unless there was an adult. This summer she will be 3 and might be allowed on the porch with her siblings. Depends.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My DD is 4, and I'm terrified of something happening to her. I don't think I'll let her play outside by herself until 9y/o at least.
    Anonymous