What does amniotic fluid smell like?

I think I might be leaking it but I dont wanna go into the hospital and look stupid if its nothing.

youngmommi2be

Asked by youngmommi2be at 4:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If you think you might be leaking amniotic fluid you need to call your OB ASAP! I don't think it has a distinct smell, like urine does. There are some serious dangers with infection if your water has broken but you haven't delivered. Just call your OB or go to the hospital to be safe... you aren't the first, or the last, pregnant woman who isn't sure if her water has broken so you won't look stupid. Good luck!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 5:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Amniotic fluid has a "sweet" smell, urine has a more ammonia smell to it.
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 9:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It smells very different from urine. If you even think you might be leaking let your doctor know. It's a really simple test they do to see if it's amniotic fluid or not. They use litmus (sp?) paper and touch it to the liquid. If it changes colors then it's amniotic fluid.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 10:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2008