How do you feel about GITMO closing?????

An executive order has bee issued by President Obama for GITMO to be shut down within 1 year. This means that these prisoners will be coming to our prison system here in the USA as other countries are refusing them access. How do you feel about this situation and why????

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Shouldn't Obama have figured out what he was going to do with the detainees BEFORE he signed the draft saying he would close it down.? That's not really a smart way to do things......

First I am going to make a decree THEN I am going to see if it's even possible to do it. Not very smart.  This is why Bush hasn't done anything before now. He was trying to find a feasible solution before he made such an asinine decision.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It pisses me off. We barely have room for the murders, rapist, child molestars, etc. as it is. So lets bring them hear to take up more room. I have a huge problem with the idea of you already have people who practice Islam in prision and how many hate America. They will pow wow together and God only knows what will happen then. He needs to rethink what he just signed and undo it. Sorry if this offends anyone, but its just my OPINION.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I see that Frank Murtha has extended an invite for them to stay in PA. That should be interesting. I wonder how his constituents feel about his offer. I will add, if I lived in PA, I would be planning a road trip to visit Mr. Murtha to give him a piece of my mind.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think we will see some bombings and riots in those prisons. They are in a very secure place right now. Once in our system they will not be as secure and I think there will be problems. Obama will be responsible for anything that happens and if he is willing to take that risk that is on him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We go to lightly on the criminals we have in our own country. Here, they would have access to all of that and more. He will be bringing war to our soil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Obama also just signed an executive order creating an interagency task force to advise on how to deal with the detainees. He's not just dumping them on the prison system just yet. As far as our international reputation this is a very good thing. Especially combined with the fact that torture is now illegal!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Torture is illegal and that is fine. I am curious how Obama is going to get information from those we capture in the future. Will the interrogators have to give them meals from Tavern on the Green and tell them they will be their friend if they give out information?

Clinton had it right dump them in a country who did torture and they would call us with the information we needed. Bush was more leinate than Clinton these guys were fed meals and kept in a better environment than the men housed near me in the Chino prison. Only a few were actually water boarded and we got information that saved lives on our soil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well, apparently, I'm the only one who is THRILLED that Gitmo is closing down. Thank goodness for a President who values human rights!
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 11:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• no i am also thrilled that gitmo is closing because they havent been proven to have done ANYTHING wrong but they have been TORTURED.. they need trials.... we need to know for sure what they did, if they are criminals lock them up, if not let them go... just like any person should be treated according to the treaties that were written at the end of ww2...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• No Aubles, I agree with you. They haven't been tried or convicted of anything and have been held for 8 years almost.
    Anonymous