I have a question about adoption...

If a man adopts his wife's child and that child had no name for father on the birth certificate would the adoptive father's name automatically be put on the childs birth certificate?

BUTTERCUP777

Asked by BUTTERCUP777 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2012 in Adoption

• I think its only if you choose.
    loveandrain94

Answer by loveandrain94 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

• My step dad adopted me at the age of 38 and I chose NOT to have a new birth certificate issued. This was because I am married and the name thing is a moot point at this stage in the game, but generally speaking, a new bc is issued.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 9:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2012

• Yes, when an adoption takes place, the birth certificate is amended. I don't particularly agree with this but it is the law.
    Vikki77

Answer by Vikki77 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2012

• When my step dad adopted us we got new birth certificates and SS cards.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2012

• Ok, so a new certificate would have to be requested but he would then be allowed to be put on the birth certificate. Ok, thank you!
    BUTTERCUP777

Comment by BUTTERCUP777 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2012

• When we adopted our daughter we had to apply for a new birth certificate and file the original on with the state. The state then issued a new birthcertificate with our names as parents. I think it very much depends on the state where the adoption takes place and where the baby was born. You will need to talk with a lawyer. Call your local Bar Association and you can see an attorney for $25 and get some advise.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2012