Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I have a question about adoption...

If a man adopts his wife's child and that child had no name for father on the birth certificate would the adoptive father's name automatically be put on the childs birth certificate?

Answer Question

Asked by BUTTERCUP777 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2012 in Adoption

Level 21 (10,397 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I think its only if you choose.

    Answer by loveandrain94 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2012

  • My step dad adopted me at the age of 38 and I chose NOT to have a new birth certificate issued. This was because I am married and the name thing is a moot point at this stage in the game, but generally speaking, a new bc is issued.

    Answer by TALuke at 9:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2012

  • Yes, when an adoption takes place, the birth certificate is amended. I don't particularly agree with this but it is the law.

    Answer by Vikki77 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2012

  • When my step dad adopted us we got new birth certificates and SS cards.

    Answer by MamaStuart at 11:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2012

  • Ok, so a new certificate would have to be requested but he would then be allowed to be put on the birth certificate. Ok, thank you!

    Comment by BUTTERCUP777 (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2012

  • When we adopted our daughter we had to apply for a new birth certificate and file the original on with the state. The state then issued a new birthcertificate with our names as parents. I think it very much depends on the state where the adoption takes place and where the baby was born. You will need to talk with a lawyer. Call your local Bar Association and you can see an attorney for $25 and get some advise.

    Answer by booklover545 at 9:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.