Guantanamo Bay

Do you support closing it? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No. Because many of the people who were released from there went back to where they came from and continued their life in terrorism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I say close it. 911 happened almost 8 years ago. How long does it take to convict someone. come on people. get with it.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You know what, it doesn't matter what anyone says on this. It is closing, end of discussion. People are going to be mad and others are going to say "finally." I am in the "finally" crowd. As an attorney, the way those people are treated is dispicable, no HUMAN should be treated the way they have been and then have that treatment excused because they are "enemy combatants." Sorry, it was all made up by the administration. Those people deserve a fair trial, not a farce trial.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with anon above. Does everyone remember seeing the picture of the inmates all naked and they were forced to like form a naked human pyramid? The Nazi's did the exact same thing to their Jewish prisoners. I know, I know, the Jewish people did nothing wrong and these other men were terrorists. But does that mean we lower ourselves to there level. I don't think so.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am not in favor of it closing. I also am not for the idea that they will be coming to our prison system here in the USA. Murtha, of PA, has already welcomed them with open arms. Treatment of them may be wrong but that just means clean it up. Not realease them into the very country the despise......
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It is closing and Obama is responsible for anything that happens because of that decision. He cannot blame Bush or Republicans this is on him. So we will see what happens. I am glad my home state of Kansas is saying no way to house prisoners there. Even the Democrat Gov there knows this is not something we want on our soil. He will probably set them free and give them money.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• GMR. They are "enemy combatants." Not all of them have been proven to be terrorists.

But you are right, we should be better than the Nazis and so far, what has gone on at GITMO deserves to be looked into more thoroughly and action needs to be taken against those who violated these prisoners. If these were prisoners on our soil for murder or rape or burglary, they would not have been subjected to the treatment they endured. If this happened in one of our prisons, the prisoners would have recourse (prisoner's rights and all that, and no, I do not agree with all the amenities that many prisoners get but they do deserve to be treated like people and not cattle). Prisoners at GITMO do not have that same recourse. There has been very little oversight and that has tainted our nation.
    Anonymous

• Ok all you ladies that believe in closing it........

What the heck do you plan on doing with those people? letting them GO? Their own countries won't take them back because they know what evil they are!!! Should WE take them?? I don't think so!  Please let the Govt know where you live so they can come live in YOUR backyard!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm not in favor of it closing, where are we supposed to put them now? Terrorists are not normal human beings, they are not scared of dying, they kill themselves and innocent people in the name of God and think they are doing a good thing.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We are nothing like the Nazi's. My grandmother survived Auschwitz and you cannot compare Gitmo to that place. My grandmother was gathered up by the Nazi's when she was pregnant. When her baby was born it was taken from her and experimented on then gassed. Her parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents were all gassed. She was forced to watch them go into the showers and then had to help put the bodies in piles to be burned. You cannot compare the two at all. I can share more if you like. My grandmother was raped repeatedly while in custody and was forced into orgies. I am sorry people have not looked in a fucking history book lately but again you cannot compare what they Nazi's did to what the Gitmo prisoners are going through. They live like kings compared to what my grandmother suffered.

Anonymous