So if you need a lot of things for baby... how do you budget?

I will be needing a few maternity items. But what I am really concerned about, is what we need:

Crib
Cloth diapers
High Chair

And I am not sure how we are going to afford all of that when we can barely make ends meet!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Mar. 21, 2012 in Money & Work

• Definitely start buying early. Around here they have huge rummage like sales at the fair grounds and churches, on he last day most everything is half off, if you can find those get there early and get the bigger items you need. I got a brand new bassinet in the box for 10 dollars and tons of clothes for .10 to 2.00 at most. I know ou said you are clothe diapering but even so check the clearance bins etc. I got diapers for 75% and I added coupons for 2.50 off which bout them down to .55 cents a piece. Just a thought :)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:33 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• You can also wait a while before you buy the high chair, because you won't need it for a few months.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• I agree, baby shower and consignment shops. Also, buy them spaced out throughout the pregnancy you aren't spending a ton of money all at once. I got our crib from a neighbor for $50 and it works as a toddler bed as well. Get diapers as you can afford them. For our high chair I bought it at Once Upon A Child for $40.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Baby shower.. consignment shops...hand downs. Do you know whether or you are having a boy or girl? Is this your 1st??
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:38 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• I have lots and lots of girl clothes, and other stuff, including a pack in play,
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• I have seen Once Upon a CHild! Looks cute. I will have to check it out. I am definately gonna be yard saling, and I know I don't need a high chair anytime soon...

This is not my first baby so if my friends give me a shower, i am not thinking it will be big gifts, probably just more about getting together and enjoying one another's company and celebrating life! and eating good food, of course. But this is not my first, so... APparently the crib we used before is recalled cuz it is a drop-down kind.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• we love once upon a child.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:24 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Start buying early. That is what we did. Plus have a baby shower and register for things you need.You can usually find a used crib at garage sales, consignment shops and places like that. You dont need a stroller when you have a newborn unless you walk around a lot, you can buy one after the baby is born. As for cloth diapers you can ask people for them from a baby shower, we always did disposable most people bring those to showers anyway, and buying them now like once a week in various sizes until the baby is born will give you a stock pile.

Answer by gemgem at 7:04 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• You could put those items on a baby registry list. You could look at resale shops or yard sales, or if you have family/friends who have outgrown their crib/high chair ask if you could borrow theirs (or maybe buy it from them at discount cost). As far as the diapers- my hubs and I bought a pk or 2 of diapers every other paycheck, and by the time baby was here we had quite a supply.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:47 AM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Craigslist. I used a recalled crib with my 5th because no way was I going to buy a new crib for my last child. My dh got the repair kit and we used it.

Answer by missanc at 12:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2012