Mother Theresa

Did anyone read about Mother Theresa? Shortly after taking her vows and going to Calcutta she had a crisis of faith. Over the years she confessed repeatedly in writing to her priest about it. She said she did not feel God anymore. She prayed steadfastly to find him again. She felt terrible for doubting his existence and asked her priest to please destroy any letters of hers after she died. And what does the catholic church do? They published them!!!!!!!!!! What is wrong with those people? Confessions are supposed to be private!!!!

GMR

Asked by GMR at 11:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Leave it to the Catholic church to try to make money, which is all it boils down to. They know how much Mother Theresa was loved. That's not right.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• NO WAY!!!
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Not cool at all.
    pnwmom

• wow that is messed up im a Catholic and i dind't know that happened. I know everyone has their falling out but still. If you swore to keep an oath of silence you shouldn't be publishing or telling anyone about them things it is supposed to be private.
    Katiebears89

Answer by Katiebears89 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• that's pretty messed up... a confession like that should have remand private... someone obviously does not have any morals and was looking out for themselves only.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Katiebears89 I think that picture you have is adorable of the ultra sound.. congradulations on the upcoming baby.

stork

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Do you have a link?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am not Catholic but I do not think that all confessions should remain private. Even so I don't know if her letters would qualify as confession after all she was writing instead of speaking to a priest. If her letters are qualified as confession then the seal of confession is broken and many things would need to change.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Her letters were confessions. She was so far away from the priest she trusted that she had to write to him.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If that's the case, it opens Pandora's box as far as I'm concerned. Why should her confessions be aired when worse criminal confessions are still sealed by the seal of confession? I don't buy that just because they were written down is reason enough to do so. It's a shame that her priest did not do as she asked. He did betray her deep trust.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009