My Husband :@ ?

Today we are going to pick up the newest additions to the family Buster and Buttercup our new rabbits. And my husband bought home a bird , TWO birds to be exact. I am going to go mad, four animals at once plus our 3 horses and Buttercup in due with hers in about a month so then there will be even more.
And what annoyed me most was he let the kids name them and now they love them to bits, they called them Topaz & Uno they are beautiful and i admit it they are a very rare type of macaw.
But my problem is we don't know anything about these birds, why did the owner give them up? my husband said because he could'nt handle them but the thing is we are a big family with 5 children and 5 animals so what wuld be the differnce. But i am the one at home all day and i will be the ones living with them. And im to scared to ask what he payed for them.
What would you say to your husband?
Should i tell him no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pets

• I love macaws, but they are loud (especially in the morning)and they tend to gravitate towards one person and become protective. Mine hates men and will chase them down. I need to be very careful when men are around. This bird needs to be treated with respect, they have a high potential of hurting you, especially when you have no idea of what you are doing. Do not feed them avocado!! If you have a lot going on in your house and the children are loud it could stress the birds and cause them to pull their feathers.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would be thrilled, but that is just me personally. I love large birds (I have 4 parrots of my own)!
    Large birds can be fun, but they can also be a pain in the A$$. They can be very loud (I had to part with a couple in the past because they were screamers). They can also to a lot of damage if they bit you (Macaws can break serious bones if they deside to bite hard). They can also be messy. You'll find bird seed all over!
    I don't know what to tell you, though! Sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you are really opposed to having them then tell him no. Or be sure to let him know that HE is the one who will have to takre care of them.

On another note.... PLease looking into getting your rabbits spayed/neutered. Or at the very least seperate them so they don't breed again. Same with dogs and cats, shelters are loaded with rabbits as well.
    Anonymous

• Oh and they live a very long time. Mine is twenty one now and when I got him 19 years ago I paid 1200 for him. I guess what I would advise, is educate yourself on them. They are high maintenance, and a life long commitment. Oh and so you know, when they start to scream, yelling at them will just make them scream louder :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My question to you is, do you have a 50/50 deal with hubby about taking care of the kids and the animals? We used to have 40 birds, all kinds big and small, 14 horses and 175 acres to hay! Not to mention the cats and dogs! BUT we both took full responsibility with all the pets. T.G no kids lived at home by then. We also owned our own company and hubby traveled. When he was gone I hired a person to help me out! So maybe if you mention that you will have to hire someone to help with the overload of his pets, then maybe he will think twice before keeping his birds! If they are hard to handle they need to be sold as breeders. Especially with kids...They are a handful and I would certainly worry about an injury with your kids, not to mention yourself, who I presume is the primary care taker! Get tuff and make a statement that will make him think !

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thank you so much, we took them to the vet and he said that their approximate age is 8 and 10. I also spoke to my husband and i agreed to keeping them but they will have they're own room since we have a couple of spare rooms. And to let you know ANON 12:19, we have just bought the rabbits understanding that Buttercup is pregnant and they are registered as breeding rabbits but I'm sure neutering/spaying is out f the question because they are still quite young and will hopefully have another in the future.
    And we do take rescue animals into considertion and we adopted brother and sister Shasta and Aleta ur horses nearly 2 years ago now, and will probably adopt another pet in the close future. 

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 3:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• sounds like a collection... or hoard... eew...
    Anonymous

• Um, if they're old enough to breed then they're old enough to spay. So, what your really saying is you just feel like breeding for profit w/out care to pet overpopulation. Fabulous.
    Anonymous

• You need to be straight up with him. Forget the cost, it's done now. But tell him in the future you need to be in on these decisions!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i understand. DH begged that we get a cat, and i said no because i didn't want to end up doing all the care. i gave in, on his word that he would help me out on litter box duty. we got two,and i love them, but i'm tired of being the sole pooper scooper! as if changing diapers wasn't dirty enough! if the kids are old enough, i recommend you have a family chat and assign feeding and simple health care chores. what a great way to instill a sense of accountability and responsibility! plus i would pull hubby aside let him know that although he may have meant well, his decision may have negative impact on you and the family. he made a big commitment w/out letting you know, that will affect you since you'll probably be the one "committing" in the end.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 1:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009