How do you deal with your husband deploying?

jen47167

Asked by jen47167 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• my husband is in the airforce but hasnt deployed yet. ive talked to alot of other wives and they have all told me to stay busy. thats the main thing that everyone has told me when i ask that question
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My DH was deployed for a year in 2004. Luckily, we didn't have any children yet. It was super hard! I kept in close contact with other women in my DH unit. They can understand what you are going through. My friends would complain about their DH & I would want to scream "At least he is here & not in Iraq"! Emailing back & forth helped, but sometimes that just made me miss him more. I also went to a family therapist, who helped me with the anger of the deployment. Stay strong! It's easy to stay depressed. I also had a drinking problem, which made it worse. I will tell you that the 1st year he was home, we had a hard time, but now our marriage is better than ever. I check my page every day, so if you need to vent or have questions, please let me know! Take care of yourself & you will be in our prayers!
    NicholaisMom

Answer by NicholaisMom at 12:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I cried for a while, and watched the news obsessively... which by the way just made me cry more :) Our daughter was only a few months old so I took a ton of pictures and wrote a lot of letters. My husband was in the Marine reserves, so there weren't a whole lot of resources available in the area, or if there were I didn't use them. But I am a pretty private person and didn't really feel the need to broadcast my emotions. Somehow we got through it and the first year home, which was pretty tough to be honest. Looking back I probably should have gotten out of the house more and asked for some help with the kids and the house. I may have been less stressed if I did, but the stress seemed to ease the worrying a bit.
    kris.aguilar

Answer by kris.aguilar at 12:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009