Potty training 19 month old. How do you do it!?

My son just turned 19 months old and we have decided to start the potty training process. My mom...who had a son...has not been much help in the matter, "Just put a cheerio in the toilet, he'll get it." Really mom? LOL...if I put a cheerio in the toilet, Tavin, my son, would just try to get it out and eat it lol. So I need some ideas on how to go about this. He doesn't talk yet, but understands. However, he doesn't know what potty is. HELP!!! LOL! How did you potty train your son!?

TheDragn01

Asked by TheDragn01 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every time i go into the bathroom i bring my son in and have him sit on the little potty. (diaper on or off) just to get him used to it. he is only 15 mo and not ready. just introduce it to him but don't force it because you don't want him to hate it. sometimes i let him walk around the bathroom naked and then when he starts to pee i rush him on the potty. he made it once and he was like woah. lol. faveroite candies work as an enticing reward.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would wait until he is more ready. If you start too soon it will only be frustrating for both of you and may actually slow down the process. 19 months is REALLY young to start potty training a boy.
    Anonymous

• I started my son at 20m but he WAS ready he knew what a potty was and we had been letting him sit on the little potty when he wanted to so he knew what he was suppose to do. I would TRY to get him to go(sit him on the potty if you have to, my son WONT stand up to go) when it is bath time of when you are changing his clothes. this is what we did and now my son knows that he goea at these times and I dont even have to tell him. Although he is fullt trained even #2 and he is 29m. If you really want to try then do it on his time buy one of those little pottys and set up a couple times a day in the beginning.
    Cont.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• And then after a few weeks if he seems interested then add a couple more times. Just work with him and DONT get frustrated with him if he doesnt do it YOU are the one wanting this done not him.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Soo, did the 19 month old give his thumbs up on this decision? They have to be ready, if they aren't then all that's going to happen is everyone is going to get frustrated and you could actually make the process longer. Trust me after helping my kids potty train themselves, it's a much less bumpy road when they are able to completely understand and are willing partners in the process.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Is HE ready to potty train? My son is 21 months old and NOT EVEN CLOSE to being ready. If he isnt ready there isnt much you can do. you dont want to force it on him.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My son is 30 months old and has yet to potty tain. We're on it at night and that's it. I started by bringing toys and books he liked into the bathroom just to get him to sit on the potty. It worked, but he is far from trained. Good luck!
    Kalebs_Momma

Answer by Kalebs_Momma at 1:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Go to The Journey into Toddlerhood group in cafemom. There's some potty training help posts at the top. It looks like it has good advice.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thanks for the advice ladies. I am asking this questing because I need help in the matter. My mother told me that she had all three of us potty trained by 18 months and gave me the impression that it is something that you can just start one day. Like I said before, she has not been much help. I have not forced it on him, I bought one of the little potties and keep him naked after bath time to try and cath him (that's when he seems to go lol). After hearing some of thes answers though, I think it is best to wait.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009