A question for agnostic people

Let me start by saying though I am a Christian, I do not judge you (or any other religion for that matter). I simply have a question so I can understand more. What keeps you from believing in God? Is it because of the connotations that religions give to themselves or just the fact that it hasn't been proven that there is a God? I seriously would like your views because I just don't understand it. =)

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Freela, I found your response interesting, because Dh and I were just discussing this the other day. He considers himself agnostic, whereas I consider myself atheist, even though we have almost the exact same beliefs. We both believe in the possibility of a higher being (higher intelligence, higher form of existence, whatever you want to call it), but we do not feel that if such being exists, that it had anything to do with our creation, nor do we think it even knows of our puny existence, let alone answers prayers, or punishes sin. I do not attribute any godlike powers to it, therefore I consider myself atheist. He believes in something bigger than him, therefore considers himself agnostic.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Agnostics DO believe in god. They don't believe in organized religion. I think you're talking about atheists. To that question, I'd ask YOU: Why don't you believe in the Tooth Fairy?
    Anonymous

• Agnostics do believe in God and/or a higher power just don't commit to an organized religion.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 12:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Ah ok yeah I was confused. I must be referring to atheists lol. So agnostics believe in a higher power just not necessarily the organized religion.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Not ALL agnostics absolutely believe in a higher power.

I personally believe that it is IMPOSSIBLE to prove or disprove "God". So therefore I leave it open-ended. Maybe there is a God, maybe there's not. No man or holy book (from any religion) is going to make me believe otherwise. Not now, not ever. I do respect everyone else's rights to believe, though.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't believe in lots of things that aren't there. I was brought up to think for myself and solve my own problems. I have no need for a god. Why do you believe? That is what I don't understand! I also really disapprove of the way that most world religions conduct themselves most of the time- especially the main three related to bible. (christianity, islam and judaism...) LOVE is what is talked about, but often not practiced except for own kind... I was raised to LOVE people and respect that we are ALL EQUAL.PERIOD. I love Mother Earth and respect nature.

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I consider myself agnostic... I just don't view God as a personified deity the way the Abrahamic religions do. What I would call 'God' is vast and impersonal, and not what most people coming from a Christian perspective would deem 'God.' For that reason I say I'm agnostic, though perhaps it's more fair to say that I have my own relationship to the divine but conceive of it very differently than many Western religions. Ultimately it's something that I don't think can ever be proven or disproven, so for me it doesn't bear debating and I prefer to just stay reasonably open minded on the subject.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Great answers so far, I'm learning a lot about beliefs I've never understood before. Thanks! As for the question of why do I believe? I believe because I have the feeling in my heart that what I believe is true. Not that other people who don't believe are wrong either. I was raised to love everyone equally and to not judge people because I wouldnt want someone judging me. You know?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My family does not believe in a higher power and speaking for myself I simply cannot believe in something I cannot see or that can't be proven. I do not have any problem with religion though. I think there is a lot to be gained from practicing a faith, and that, for the most part, people are better for it even if it turns out not that there is no God. People gain morality, a sense of community, a support system...religious organizations do a lot of good in their communities (on the whole, of course there are exceptions). I certainly cannot knock religion, but I just do not believe that there is a higher power that has my life pre-planned and I do not believe in an afterlife.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have studied a lot of religions, and although i find there is a lot of good in most of them (the morals, etc). I also find things I can't quite say I believe, because it can not be proved or disproved.. As for believing in a higher power... I just don't. I respect those that do it in a healthy way, but there are some religious extremist that completely made me an atheist. I do believe our minds are very powerful however, and they can account for people having many religious experiences. But IMO I believe most of the things that have happened, I believe answers can be found to.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2009