My 13 year old son is very disrespectful to me. He yells at me and talks back all the time. What should I do about it???

isaiahsmommy00

Asked by isaiahsmommy00 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Take the things he likes away and make him earn them back.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• yes take whatever it is he likes away and tell him to respect you.
    i know telling him wont work but ask him "what would you do if some 13 yr old i have never met treated me the way you do?"
    pnuts_mom51706

Answer by pnuts_mom51706 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This is what I do, I'm not sure if it will work for you all.....I tell my 13 yr old ONLY 2 Warnings.....if it continues I give her 2 choices.....1 to clean the whole house SCRUBBING or she can have supervised dish washing for a week and no friends,,this does work for about a month, than she starts that additute,,, so my house will get a good scrubbing at least once a month
    BernieJ

Answer by BernieJ at 5:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• First, I think to get respect you must give it. A lot of times we're not even aware of being disrespectful. This doesn't mean giving them everything they want or giving in. It means not being sarcastic, dismissive, cutting, or mean. Also, we have to be worthy of respect. If I treat others with disrespect or gossip or am hypocritical it's hard for me to demand respect. Then you let them know there is 0 tolerance! How you discipline them is different for everyone but you have to be consistent and let them know NO disrespect. You should sit them down and let them know that things are going to change and that everyone needs to try to be more respectful. Tell them to communicate with you when you're not and tell them you will sit down with them when they're not. You CAN stop it. That's the good news! Once you get it under control life will be so much happier. Oh, also, explain to them exactly what being disrespectful is to you so they're clear on what not to do. God bless!
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 5:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My 13 yr old boy is acting like that too lately. I'm hoping it's a stage. I've been ignoring him (it's not easy at times) but I just dont react and walk away. He usually comes to me within a half hour and apoligizes for it.I dont know what the deal is.
    Carolbrady100

Answer by Carolbrady100 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I went through this with my son. I didn't get angry, I would just tell him in a normal tone of voice that he cannot speak to me that way. I also asked him why he would talk to me in such a mean tone and told him that it hurt when he spoke to me that way. I think he was looking for a rise out of me. I reminded him that I was his age at one time and told him I love him and that if something is bothering him he can come to me with anything and that if he did not feel comfortable talking to his mom that his older sisters would listen to him. He eventually stopped treating me this way. He is now 16 and we get along great. He even comes to me when he needs to talk about personal things. I'm glad he realized he can confide in his mom. I even get invited to play Wii with him. :)
    Gerribear

Answer by Gerribear at 6:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Here is what we did with our boys.....we striped there room ....we took out everything but the bed and made them earn it back a little at a time...when they misbehaved we took it again ...they had to start over....good luck
    bree384

Answer by bree384 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• jackmci gets my personal vote for best answer....and i actually have a social work degree and used to work with troubled teens! communication and MUTUAL respect is key!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• LOve 'em and hold on tight it will pass as in all stages they get through and so will you, promise.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 5:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Take everything away. Tell him how he is to treat you, and make him earn it back. Sounds harsh but its better than 5 more years of disrespect and heartache.
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 2:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2008