I am breastfeeding, when I give my son a bottle with breast milk he does not spit up, when he breastfeeds he spits up a lot.

breastfeeding spit up, bottle feeding no spit up, why???

belladeb777

Asked by belladeb777 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your let-down may be strong so he may take in more air when bfding. Or he could be choking a bit since the milk in coming out so quickly/heavily. You could try expressing an ounce or so of milk before nursing to see if that helps... or at least just to see if the let-down is the issue :)
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 5:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• The difference of suckage on the breast is different than the one on the bottle, so that may it.
    mom_amy_mason

Answer by mom_amy_mason at 5:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Have you been putting anything on your nipples, like vitamin E oil? That can make your son spit up/vomit after nursing, I found that out the hard way many years ago when I had my firstborn! Nobody told me that.
    wondra

Answer by wondra at 7:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I couldn't eat anything fatty for the first 6 months of BFing because my DD would projectile vomit all over me. Sorry I know it is gross but I have never seen anything like that LOL. So it could be your diet it also could mean you need to burp more often. Like half way through bfing on each breast and then of course each time you switch too.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 10:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2008