How much formula should a 2 month old be eating?

I know BF is the way to go, but I had a lot of problems with my milk coming in and low milk supply, so her doctor put her on formula. She's on the enfamil with iron and is currently eating 4oz about every 3 hours. She still acts like she's hungry, she'll whine and eat at her hands.
The pediatrician says she should only get 3 oz every 3 hours. But if I don't give her 4 oz she screams to high heavens until I give her more. I know the doctor knows best but I can let my little girl be hungry.

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was the same way...they told me that they willdo that sometimes if they are gassy, but if she is hungry let her eat til she is satisfied. you know your baby better than the dr does. Maternal instinct tells better!
    Anonymous

• I'd give her 4 oz unless their is some medical reason for the amount specified by your pediatrician (like she has some sort of digestive problem or something). Mine didn't take quiet that much at that age, but my sister's took more.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you know shes hungry feed it to her like the above poster said unless there is a medical reason he is saying that much. My son was a little piggy and was eating 5 oz every 3 hours at that age. My newphew who is 3 weeks old is already eating 4oz every two hours hes a little piggy 2 only you can tell if your baby is still hungry or just gassy your the mom its your call.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Sorry, but the baby knows best! She knows if she's hungry or not!

There are guidelines for babies....guess what? Babies don't read the guidelines.

My boys each started taking 8oz ever 2 hours at 6 weeks. What your daughter is taking is NOTHING to me! LOL

Feed on demand. Period. SHE knows if she's hungry, not the doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree, feed her until she is satisfied. I would let her eat what she wants (she will let you know when she doesn't want anymore), unless there's a medical reason. Doctors are great, but they don't know each individual baby's needs as well as mommy does! Every baby is different.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• FEED her she is hungry. She will stop when she stops and she will eat again when she is hungry.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009