What do you take for anxiety/depression?

..and what are the side effects, or the advantages? I'm going to the doctor soon to take care of my horrible anxiety & depression problem, and I just want to know the difference between meds. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Health

• I take 20mg of Celexa for anxiety and have no side effects. My doctor told me ahead of time she'd like to try me out on this first because it was one of the meds with the least amount of side effects and it's not supposed to be addictive (or not nearly as addictive as some of the other stuff).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I take antidepressants and they help alot. I would ask about wellbutrin because it doesnt seem to have too many side effects and in fact one side effect is weight loss and I saw that as a perk LOL. I have a script for ativan as well however I dont take it often. It makes me sleepy. But if I feel a panic attack coming on or something then I may take one.
    Anonymous

• When I told my doctor about my anxiety she suggested therapy. Told me she wouldn't give me anything until I talked to somebody. Sounds good but with no insurance it won't happen. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Oh good, we just got our Anthem Blue Cross.. I know talking to won't help me!! Thanks for the answers.
    Anonymous

• I had severe anxiety and mild depression. i took 75mg of Effexor XR for 2 years until I weaned myself off slowly (you can't just stop taking these types of meds). It helped tremendously. Now, I have been off them for 2 years and and am still doing ok (no depression, and very rare spurts of anxiety).
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• St. Johns Wort.

kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i take 20 mg. of prozac a day. i have been on numerous others but this seems to be working the most. but after a while of taking them i become immune. there arent too many more i can take.
    gr8tmomof2

Answer by gr8tmomof2 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• 20mg prozac have the generic at walmart for 4.00 I also take clonzepam to help anxiety and sleep as I need it.
    Anonymous

• I, too, took some of the above RX drugs for depression. Some worked, some I had weight gain(which cert. didn't help!). My sister told me about SAM-E a few years ago & it really has helped. I started with 400 mg & am down to 200 mg. Hope you get some help with whatever you choose~take care!
    hmkr38

Answer by hmkr38 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Lexapro is a good medication with seemingly few side effects. It also enables you to function throughout the day without feeling lethargic.
    Anonymous