my 18 month old still isn't saying words.

should I be concerned? Everything that I have read says that babies this age say several words by now, but my son still just babbles nonsense.

happysnappy

Asked by happysnappy at 12:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Doctors like to see 10 to 20 words at 18 months. Some perfectly normal, healthy kids don't have any but some kids may need some help. Have you asked his doctor about it? I would.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Have him avaluated by the state...My daughter did not speak either..or point to anything..
    there is alot more..Have your state do their avaluation of him..it is free.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Have his ears checked. My son at 18 mo. did not talk more then nonsense. I found out his ears were almost completly blocked by earwax. I had to buy a removal kit and do it at home. Let me tell you the change was drastic! Good luck and get him checked!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I taught 2 yr olds for about 2 yrs.We would have some at that age that could talk in sentences,and some that would just babble and you couldnt understand anything they said.If you are concerned I would see about letting someone evaluate him.He is makin sounds so you would think there wouldnt be any problems.The fact that he is babbling and not saying words could mean that he might have a problem with hearing.I wish you and your precious child the best of luck.
    BoutiqueMommy

Answer by BoutiqueMommy at 12:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My son had a hard time speaking at 18 months. He did not really start taking until he was about 2 years old. I was so concerned I asked his doctor. The doctor told me it was totally normal for children to begin to speak late. With my son he was not around other children a lot so I started to introduce him to more kids and that helped. I would also have his ears looked at just to see if there is any blockage. Good luck!!
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I wouldnt worry too much about it. All kids develop differently. Ask his dr. about it next time you go in but dont stress too much. My cousin didnt start talking until he was three (that was 6 months ago) and now he never shuts up. LOL, it was like he was learning everything and storing it up to use all at once. Just keep working with him, he'll catch on. =)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• perhaps he is talking and you just aren't understanding. sometimes when my son talks i don't get what he is saying for days. i wouldn't worry about it. everyone is different. if you are really worried work on it with him. hold an object (something he likes) infront of him and be like please and repeat it a few times before you hand it to him. and when you hand it (or anything) to him always say thank you. when he is in his crib and wants to get out put your arms out and say up a few times before you pick him up. it just takes repitition. talk to him like he is an adult, ask him questions even though you know he won't answer. he will do it when he wants.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My daughter is basically the same age and she only says 5 words, usually partial words like kit mean kitty. Her doctor told me it's not a major concern and only becomes concern if they don't understand you. Like as in if you tell your child understand you you tell him to go get a shoe? If he does, don't worry and he doesn't talk to his doctor.
    mom_n_goddess

Answer by mom_n_goddess at 3:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009