How can I potty train my son who is over three and a half?

My son is going to be four in November, four months from now. He goes to preschool next month, and he refuses to go potty! I have been putting him on the potty every 15 minutes to half hour and I let him sit there as long as he needs. The problem is he will hold his urine in all day until his belly hurts, and then pee all over the floor. What do I do? I am almost in tears. I know he's too old to be in a pull up all the time, and I won't buy diapers. Please help.
Thank you.

dirtpumkin

Asked by dirtpumkin at 5:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The thing that worked the best for both my boys was to make it into a game. We sat them on the toilet facing the back of the toilet and we would throw cheerios in there and it became a game of trying to either sink the cheerios or just to aim and hit them. And if they would go we would throw parites in the bathroom. We bought the little blow horns from the party aisle at the store and we were as loud as we could be blowing horns or clapping and cheering and my boys couldn't wait til they could go again just so they could play the game and have a party. With this it took less than a week for both. He might be afraid of the toilet too. I have heard of some kids holding it because they were afraid of the big potty, afraid of falling in, so maybe try a potty chair that sits on floor or one that sits on top the big potty but is more enclosed in so they don't feel like they will fall in. Good luck and if you need to talk or other ideas please feel free to send me a message.
    shanda2bz

Answer by shanda2bz at 5:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• You can make it fun for him! Play a game while he pees. put cheerios in the toilet and tell him he has to try to pee in the hole. Its fun, and it helps with his aim. haha :) But it DOES work, trust me.
    mom_amy_mason

Answer by mom_amy_mason at 5:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Ok, if I were you, I would put him in big boy underwear and tell him that he needs to wear those and if he wants to go to school and play with the other kids he needs to be potty trained!!! I've been potty training kids for over 9 years and I'm only 21!!! Be the parent and don't let your kid walk on you and tell you no to big boy underwear!!!! Did you try to potty train when he wasn't ready or is this the first time trying?! Message me back and we can talk more!!! I need to know a little bit more specifics and I'll try to help you to the best of my ability!!!!
    Ms.Beth1214

Answer by Ms.Beth1214 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• inpo, leave him alone! lol Give him the tools he needs and let him decide when to go. It's quite possible you are putting too much pressure on him. I know it sounds silly but he could have a form of "potty anxiety".
    I would try giving him lots of fluids one morning. Take him to the potty and just tell him "if you need to go, either tell me or come in here and sit down" - if your brave enough, let him go without pants, if not try the plastic big boy pants. You asking him constantly does not teach him to listen to his body and when it's telling him he needs to go. After about 2 hours start asking him if his pants are dry. If so, praise him for it, give him a treat for still having dry pants, not for going potty. B/c if he has dry pants, he's obviously going potty but dry pants is the goal.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• You could also take him to visit the preschool he will be attending. Let him play for a bit, have some fun. Then leave, on the way home explain to him that if he wants to go back and go to school there he has to go potty on.his.own and have no more wet pants.
    Lastly, throw out those pull-ups!!!! They are no different than diapers. What's his favorite characters? Buy him some big boy undies with his favorite character and tell him if he can go potty without you having to ask all.the.time he'll get to wear his big boy pants. Make it sound thrilling!
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• We are in the process of potty training our 5th. I'm hesitant. I don't know if she's ready or not but she wants to wear undies and she does go potty when I take her sometimes. We'll see. All our others were right around 3-3.5 when they potty trained. I never did the "ask every 10-30 min" thing. I let them listen to their body and feel the urge to pee, then go. I gave them the essentials they would need - coming with me, witnessing the procedures, TP, potty seat, etc. But when it came right down to it, it has to be them that decides when it is time to go, esp after the age of 2.5-3 yrs old, impo. My sil did the asking all the time and I think it backfired on her. Our firsts were only 2 months apart and she would always ask "why does your dd go alone with no problem and our ds always has to have me right there" We allowed her to have independence with her pottying. They're growing up, this is a GREAT area to give up a little and let them take the reins.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• talk to ur dr.
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 3:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My now 7 year old was awful at potty training. The doctor said he'll let you know when he's ready. He was 4 when he finally potty trained. But it was an overnight 360 from diapers to underwear. He was finally ready to be a big boy.
    Anonymous

• My youngest step-son was almost 4 by the time we got him potty-trained. Most of it was actually stubborn-ness because he KNEW we wanted him potty trained. What finally did the trick was a special potty seat for the "big boy potty" since he didn't WANT a little one. - and a lot of time and books in the "potty room." He loooved to be read to so we just did it while he sat on the potty. NOW we're just working on "the poopy toilet paper goes in the toilet, NOT the trash can. It's a never-ending battle... ;-) Good luck!
    amysmommy62607

Answer by amysmommy62607 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2008