Do you ever feel like your MIL doesn't think you are good enough for her son?

NicholaisMom

Asked by NicholaisMom at 12:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• LMAO yep every day for about the first year we were together. Its gotten less and less since.

Answer by gemgem at 12:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• oh yeah but i think now that she has seen we are willing to make things work regardless and that we have both grown up she is starting to come around. However my husbands brother has been married to the same women for many years and she still doesnt like her very much so its hard to tell lol.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• No, my MIL and I get along GREAT!!! I love her to death. I got so lucky with getting the GREATEST MIL EVER! As for my FIL, that is another story. He didn't want us to get married and even now the only time we ever talk is when it is about my hubby or my daughter. *rolls eyes* That man..........
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 12:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• All the time! LOL! For us it's a race/culture thing, at least in part. Dh and I are different races/cultures and even though it's never been an issue for us, MIL/FIL have always been uncomfortable about it. I've also heard through the grapevine that she talks about how we raise the kids behind my back because she disagrees with many of my decisions. This is really ironic since even dh says that she would certainly not have received any parenting awards- she was a really 'hands off' mom, dh had to put himself to bed as a child. I've come to the conclusion that it benefits us all to keep the relationship civil but I don't think we will ever see eye to eye on anything.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Mine seems to like. She liked me before I got pregnant and then while I was pregnant she didn't and now she does again. It seems strange to me but the baby has brought us closer.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have been married for 44 years, and my mother-in-law has never thought I was good enough for her son. I always believed that if I tried hard enough, loved her well enough, that I would one day win her over. I now know that that will never happen. She now has dementia, but she knows enough to be hateful to me. She is in a retirement home now, an hour and a half away, so whenever hubby wants to go to see her, I ride along because he enjoys my company. I smile and say hello, smile and say good-bye and leave the rest of the conversation to him. I am now at peace with the situation though that was not always the case. Relationships require two people--and sometimes, one is just not willing. You have to accept it as a fact and move on.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I love my MIL and FIL and couldn't have been any more blessed. they excepted me from day one (literally, because I came to visit from another country, husband was in the army). im pregnant and MIL calls me often, she is throwing my baby shower and always sends me food to the house!!! she is great!

PS: we are from 2 very different cultures and hubby even converted religions! yet again no problem with the family at all.
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 1:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have been married to a wonderful man for 21 years and am very proud to say that my MIL is such a lovely woman and I am blessed to have her in my life.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• yes but she actually does hate me :( she says the meanest things about me that like im ruining his life and everything. im not a bad person..she just hasnt gotten to know me. and never wants to. the way she treats me drives me insane!!!!
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My MIL is a wonderfully supportive person. She loves that I love her son and she loves me for that. She's not judgmental or harsh in any way. Now my EX MIL..... was what I call a fence-sitter..... she was good to your face.... but you could tell that all her efforts were fake. Of course, and I can't believe I'm saying this.... she was like that with EVERYONE not just me. Fortunately she lived at least 7 hours away and some years even further (her husband moved a lot with his company) so I didn't have to see her but once a year for 19 years. We didn't talk on the phone, we didn't email, we didn't communicate at all... we were just cordial at Christmas. I'm very glad to be rid of that relationship. Which reminds me... I need to send my divorce lawyer another thank-you note. ;-)
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009