Biting cat

A little over a year ago we brought in a stray cat. He's never been affectionate but has always let us hug and hold him whenever we wanted.

To this day I am still seeing changes in his behavior as he adjusts to indoor life. He no longer tries to run away and really seems to enjoy our company. Most recently he's been looking for affection. He is started to come sit with me when he wants to be petted and while I'm petting him, he'll bite. It's never hard or out of anger. It seems to be his way of showing affection back. Does that make sense? I'm just curious if this is a normal cat behavior.

InsanitySpeaks

Asked by InsanitySpeaks at 12:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pets

• My male cat gives "love bites", lol. Actually, all of the cats we had growing up that were males did this. I don't think I've ever had a female cat give a love bite.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I've had two cats in the past who were "love biters"...I would say as long as it isn't hard or intended to be mean.....you're ok.
    However a good sharp NO and a clap should help to break the habit. Thanks for taking in a stray furbaby!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When a male cat bites you he is showing you affection and saying that he cares about you and respects you. That is just how they are. My kitty used to do it and I asked about it and that is the answer I was given. Strange huh, LOL!!
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 12:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My grandparents have a cat that gives 'love bites'. Its a female.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 12:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have a male who bites when he is done being loved on. It is his way of letting you know that he is done. If it is a child it is more of a scare and he doesn't use his teeth. He got my DD last weekend and it scared her but he didn't hurt her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• All three of my cats do this. He loves you :)
    I've got one that rams his face in my chin and slides up my cheek and nips as he is sliding.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have 2 male cats, and they both bite all the time when I'm petting them. Not hard, just like you said. Our oldest cat does it less and less as he gets older. The other one is still pretty young and he does it alot still.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 1:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thanks everyone. He's definately a love biter then. lol I have a female cat who is a "love licker". She'll lick my skin off if given the chance.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 1:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I had a cat that would nip at my ankles when he wanted attention, and while i was petting him he would "love bite" he also had a thing for hair. he'd sleep on top of my pillow after he'd fluffed my hair out. it was sweet but kind of annoying!
    sophiebethmom

Answer by sophiebethmom at 10:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It's completely normal. It's love bites. Cats are crazy that way. They usually don't break the skin. Just don't move and you won't get hurt! I think it's funny, but I'm a crazy cat person and I'm used to it. Notice, they are usually purring when they do it.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009