Caulking question?

The caulk around my bathtub has gotten gross and turned black. I used to bleach it every now and then to whiten it back up but I don't think bleach will work anymore. I'd like to recaulk.

Is there something special I need to be looking for when I go get some? Do I need a caulking gun or do they come in tubes that you just squeeze?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• you can do it both ways, the gun or just the tube. the tube says it can be used for baths, kitches...indoors. otherwise by the other tube and the caulk gun. I like the squeezable tube, personally. 4steps...remove old caulk, dry the area, apply new caulk, let dry. The biggest problem is cleaning up the mess along the way. Bring lots of wet napkins or a big wet towel to help with that. :~)
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• they come both ways. Thie thing is you have to remove ALL old caulk before applying new. Before applying, make sure your tub is dry.
    Just ask a worker at your local hardware store for what you will need. If it is a small tub, then a tube should do the job. Have an old wet cloth handy for easy removal and finish work.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You need a caulk gun, but you can get one for pretty cheap. You want to make sure the caulk is white (or matches what you already have) and is a bathroom sealant. Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• There is a multitool in the paint dept that has a grove for a paint roller and a spiky part. Use the spikey part to pull out the caulk.
    Then you can use either tube or caulking gun to replace it with.
    However, you must have it completly dry and be able to keep it dry long enough for it to cure.
    I would buy a caulking gun, you only have to once. Practice with it. It isn't as easy as it looks, though caulking is easy. It is just like frosting a cake.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You could ask Celebrity Handyman Anthony Gilardi from HGTV this question. He answers questions for CafeMoms every other week in Home & Garden Buzz. He's really awesome.

Ask Anthony your home repair question here.

Cafe Sheri

Answer by Cafe Sheri at 9:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2009