Belly Button...

I'm 20 wks today, and my belly button is very sensitive/sore to touch. I don't remember if I felt this w/ my son or not. Does anyone have any idea as to why?
Thanks!!

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The baby is learning how to pull on the umbilical cord. It can create a pulling feeling on your belly button. I had the same thing. It didn't last very long for me.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 1:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• how is the baby pulling on the umbilical cord associated with a sore belly button for mom? the baby's cord is attached to the placenta, not the mom's belly button.
    Anonymous

• Its probably because your belly is stretching, it will go away or at least ease up some. If it doesn't it isn't anything to worry about.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 1:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It's pressure from your growing uterus. It's normal for your belly button to feel sensitive around this point in pregnancy because that's when your uterus gets up to where your belly button is. It probably won't last long; most women's belly buttons pop out around now, which will ease the discomfort a lot. And even if yours doesn't pop out (mine never did, and hasn't yet with this one), it doesn't stay sore all the time, mostly just when the baby's pushing against it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Oh, and thank you for asking this. I know it's normal or it wouldn't be mentioned in my pregnancy books, but every time I say anything to anyone about my belly button hurting, all I get is weird looks like I was the only one this happened to!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• im 30 weeks and my belly button was really sensitive not to long ago. it didnt hurt it was just sensitive to touch.
    1-teen-mommy

Answer by 1-teen-mommy at 2:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thanks everyone! I figured that it was because it was just getting ready to pop. It did w/ my first one, but I just don't remember it being sore!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Is it possibly rubbing on things (countertops, for example?) Mine was super sensitive, and I SWORE it was going to pop, but it never did. I would constantly rub it on the counters at work, and of course, at home, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009