my 5 year old son exposed himself to a girl at school.is this normal?

He told me last night that his pants were down yesterday at school.He would'nt give me clear details as to why or who was involved.When I dropped him off at school today the teacher wanted to talk with me.She said one of the girls at his school claimed he exposed his private parts to her.It happened several days ago.She notified her boss and wrote an incident report for her records but did not have me sign anything.He is 5 years old and this is just not like him at all.Should I be concerned?Is this normal?

marley508

Asked by marley508 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He was probably just curious. Girls aren't always the innocent ones. Maybe she egged it on somehow. Maybe she was curious and asked?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Kids are curious talk to your son and remind him that it's not okay to expose himself. I have a brother who is 15 my daughter is 15 at the age of 4 my daughter came in and told me that my brother pulled his pants down to show her his penis. She told him that's not okay. I just pulled my brother to the side and privately told him that no one is allowed to touch his private parts and it's not okay to expose himself people don't like that. I did not make a huge deal of it or cause him any shame.  I just wanted to let him know its not okay

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't say that it's NOT normal but he needs to know that it's not OK behavior. It was probably one of those one time things that kids do just because....
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 3:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Ahhhhhhhh kids. If this has never happened before, its probably as Insanityspeakes said "he did it just because". Def. talk with him about whats appropriate and whats not. I would be asking exactly what is in his school records. But thts just me.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009