Want an Abortion? You should watch one first...

Arizona lawmaker wants to go further on abortion laws.

Arizona has become the national epicenter in recent weeks in the battle over abortion and contraception regulations. 

Conservative Arizona lawmakers hope Arizona will join a handful of other states in banning most abortions after 20 weeks of gestation, as proposed in House Bill  2036

House Bill 2800, which would strip Planned Parenthood of public funds for health-care services, is still alive. 

And then there's House Bill 2625, which would allow companies to opt out of covering contraception in their health-care plans for religious reasons. 

But with all this, at least one lawmaker doesn't believe Arizona has yet gone far enough.

An opponent of HB 2036 e-mailed her lawmakers to voice her opinion. The Tucson reader shared the response from Rep. Terri Proud, R-Tucson. The reader called the e-mail "most inappropriate for someone who makes policy decisions for women in this state."  

The e-mail, which has not been edited, said:

Personally I'd like to make a law that mandates a woman watch an abortion being performed prior to having a "surgical  procedure". If it's not a life it shouldn't matter, if it doesn't harm a woman then she shouldn't care, and don't we want more transparency and education in the medical profession anyway? We demand it everywhere else.

Until the dead child can tell me that she/he does not feel any pain - I have no intentions of clearing the conscience of the living - I will be voting YES."

In an e-mail to Insider, Proud defended her statement, saying women should be aware of any surgical procedure “especially when a foreign object is extracting from a delicate organ.”

--Alia Beard Rau

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 01:39 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PoliticalInsider/157762?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 5:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• So, by that logic we will need to require all surgical patients watch their procedure before it can be undertaken.

I get that abortion is a hot topic but if politicians are going to make suggestions like this, I wish they'd at least use critical thinking skills.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 5:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Personally it doesn't bother me... but I can see ho wit really makes very little sense. They are already required to have a basic understanding of the procedure and it's risk. Some places require an ultrasound and waiting period. A lot of 'life changing' procedures require waiting periods... An ultrasound just seems to make since as a diagnostic and informative tool. Watching the procedure seems over kill. Example: I had my tubes tied. The doctor did and ultrasound to locate my tube prior to surgery and look for cyst or anything that could be corrected at the same time. I had a consultation that went over the risk. I had a waiting period to get it done after hearing the risk. I did not have to watch a video of the procedure. Why? Because is it really necessary if you have already been given all the information.
    Anonymous

• I dunno. Video of childbirth nearly convinced me not to do it. But I've seen the aborted fetus photos that have floated around for years, and they leave me cold. If I'm set on an abortion it will happen. No images will change my mind.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• How can anyone believe this has anything to do with making sure people have access to all the information necessary to make an educated decision? Is someone donating bone marrow forced to first watch a video of the needle being jabbed deep into a bone? Do breast implant recipients have to watch a video of the surgery? Clearly, this is just bullying. But then again I live in TX where state-madated rape is still in the books... I mean abortion seekers are just immoral whores anyway, right? Who cares whether they want a foreign object shoved into their vagina (even in cases where the doc doesn't think it's necessary)? Oh, I wonder if the women are then charged for the rape procedure? Gotta love what happens when people legislate according to their personal often religious beliefs. Too bad quakers aren't interested in politics... we'd all be wearing a lot more buttons.

Sorry for the rant.. I'm feeling bitter today.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2012

• A quote shared on facebook by my brother "if women should have to watch an abortion before having one, men should have to stare at erections for 4 hours before getting viagra"... Lol
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Obby, I'm confused. I don't think you understood my comments.

No, I have not been placed in the position of having to make that decision. Actually, I already have made the decision in case a pregnancy were to happen ... it would not be allowed to continue. I fully support a woman's right to make this incredibly private and life changing decision for herself.

I find it truly disgusting that our government believes that women are too stupid to understand what an abortion is and what it does. I am really surprised and saddened that there are women that support this line of thinking. It is possible that I was not clear when I wrote my post last night. Apologies if that is the case.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2012

• Sorry, but I've had two abortions and no amount of pictures or educational video was gonna change my mind. You have the right to your opinion and that is all - you do not have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own body. Get over yourselves and LEGGO!
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• I'm all for educating oneself regarding medical decisions. However, in no other area is it mandatory that you educate yourself. In no other area that I can think of, save vaccinations, does the government mandate health treatment upon anyone (and apparently those are actually optional due to the number of people who refuse them). Vaccinations are health treatment that the government is appropriately involved in (IMO) because the health of the citizens is important (hence national health care which impacts much more than health in a positive way). This is where the government's role ends. By definition, citizenship begins at birth. (Ideally) a woman is a citizen with freedom to make medical treatment decisions for herself and is viewed as capable of and responsible for doing so. These type of laws are invasive and force medically unnecessary treatment upon people, which is one of the main exclusions in a health insurance policy
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Nope. All private schooling. :)
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• The problem I have with this is that apparently the government, well certain members of it, believes that all women are too stupid to make decisions for ourselves.

What truly surprises me is that there are WOMEN who are supporting this idiotic shit.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2012