What can we do to get our 41/2 mo old to start sleeping thru night better? Have tried many things.

I nurse and have expressed milk and mix rice cereal with. I've fed earlier, later, in between, you name it. We've played and worn her out. When she's awoke after we thought she was down for 6-8 hours we've patted but and back and sometimes she's gone back to sleep other times not. We've changed diaper, not changed diaper, taken her out of crib rocked back to sleep, left in crib sang to, put the pacifier in, left pacifier out. Like I said we've tried everything. Suggestions welcome.

exstaticmama08

Asked by exstaticmama08 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing I can say is she will sleep threw the night when she gets older.

Answer by louise2 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Be consistent, have you tried letting her fuss herself back to sleep? It will take longer then 1 night, but consistency is the key to anything.
    Anonymous

• Is she taking good naps? I have heard that sleep breeds sleep. Is she always hungry when she wakes up at night? My little girl is, so we tried feeding her cereal during the day. My dd was sleeping a lot and now she's 4 months and waking up again to eat every 3 hours. I can't figure it out either, I am just trying things like you are!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Not to burst your bubble, but you say she's sleeping 6-8 hours? That is quite an accomplishment. Try reading The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, it offers great suggestions.

Also, as the pp said, make sure she's taking good naps. As much sense as it doesn't make, it will help her sleep better at night.

Do you have a bedtime routine? That can help too.

Babies and children wake up during the night- and it's completely normal all the way up to the age of 2.

Good Luck, but don't be discouraged if nothing works- she's programmed that way, and it's just part of parenthood.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 6:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That is pretty young to expect a baby to sleep through the night. Give her some more time!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009