• In the Spotlight:

What classes did you take or are you planning to take?

I am pregnant for the 1st time and wanting to take some classes like breastfeeding, childbirth etc. Which classes would you recommend, and which ones weren't worth it?

musikdoll

Asked by musikdoll at 1:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I was pg I took every class that my health care provider offered and read every book I could get my hands on. It help keep me calm and patient while I waited for my son to arrive.

I highly recommend breast feeding classes, my class gave me some great pointers.
    Also I recommend that you read "The Nursing Mother's Companion: Revised Edition"
    by Kathleen Huggins. But stay away from the problem sections until you need them (which hopefully you won't). If you plan to go back to work also take a working mom nursing course, mine not only informed me but gave me valuable tips on how to save money.

Also pg yoga was invaluable to me. It helped minimize the aches and pains of labor and the strength gained was vital asset in labor.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I didn't take any classes and for me it was better I already knew stuff from books, friends, and family that have had children but I will still clueless enough to be comfortable not knowing. The only class I wish that I had taken was a breastfeeding class it would have been helpful.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I didn't take any classes, but read a few books
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• What Fuznet said! I HIGHLY recommend a breastfeeding class and the same book she posted. I'm telling you, that if it wasn't for that class I wouldn't have been so successful at breastfeeding. DH and I also took Lamaze, and although I didn't use the breathing, I thought it was worth it for all the other information, and the mandatory massage they made the dads give the moms =) I also took the free infant care class they offered while staying in the hospital after my kids births. I'm one that feels most comfortable knowing as much about something as possible, so it was all worth it to me. If $ is an issue, definitely choose BFing over Lamaze.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i agree with the pps breastfeeding classes are omportant i wish i had taken one with my first so that i could have been more sucessful
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you get the chance, take Bradley method breathing classes (if you can find them). I took Lamaze and had my midwife take me through the Bradley method. The Bradley method wins hands down! If you had band or choir in school, it is like that. NOT shallow breathing....deep breathing that allows your diaphragm muscle to help push the baby out. It helped me ever so much and made my delivery faster and less painful! (My first child was born with the Lamaze method, but the rest were done with the Bradley method.) I felt far more in control and again, the labor was shorter, and far less painful!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 2:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When I was pregnant with my first we took a childbirth class, a breastfeeding class, and a baby care class. They were all offered at the hospital we delivered in. It seemed like A LOT of the information overlapped. It was helpful in some ways because it really reinforced things, but at times it was a little too much. Overall, I was happy with all of the classes. We learned how to swaddle, bathe a baby before their umbilical cord is healed, soothe a crying little one, different breastfeeding techniques, obviously breathing/relaxation techniques for labor, and a whole bunch more.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It's a matter of what experience you already have with other peoples' kids, and what you've read. I've spent a lot of time with people with little ones, so I knew a lot about caring for a newborn, so that class was a waste for me, and I am studying to be a midwife, so a lot of the pregnancy classes were kind of a wash. If you're planning to nurse, I HIGHLY recommend taking a class on it (also meet with a lactation consultant after the baby comes to work out any kinks). Also, if you plan to go natural, a childbirth class can be really good. See what's available to you where you are delivering. Get some good books, too. Baby 411 is great, as well as What To Expect The First Year for baby care. For pregnancy, Great Expectations and Your Pregnancy Week By Week were great. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009