Messy kids?

It seems like all I do is clean and do laundry and never truly get to enjoy the house being in a pristine state for longer than 5 minutes at a time. Then the kids come and mess everything up, books, games, and etc are strewn everywhere. The last month or so my 12 year old refuses to pitch in and help clean at all. I can tolerate her room being messy, but the other areas of the house I cannot and its mostly her things that are laying around, school books and backpacks and such. How do I get her up and cleaning without a fight?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 1:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Living in a family is communal living. She needs to learn what that means. Life is not about her or what she wants. You need to prevent her from enjoying any fun communal activities until she can learn what it means to be in one (the responsibilities). That means no after school programs, activities, clubs, no having friends over, anything that includes another person is a communal activity.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Tell her whatever is lying around will go in the trash. I would hold to that. My mom did it with us and we started cleaning b/c we wanted our stuff.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Make a chore chart with consequences for not helping and rewards for helping. I usually buy the kids something nice for doing their chores for a certain amount of time. We have bonuses, races to see who can do more, and prizes. They need incentive to clean.

Answer by gemgem at 1:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i was the same way just 3 years ago..make her clean them up...
    if u dnt she will be like my sister and her house is always messy
    she dnt want to put nothing wher she got it so it just lays on the ground by her
    HAUTMAMMA3908

Answer by HAUTMAMMA3908 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• lol...not laughing at you but i kind of have the same problem, my 10 year old wants another dog, we were going to consider it, but he had to show responsibility first.

guess what? this only took one day....i made up a list of things he needed to do and i would help him do it, so it was anything, first it was cleaning the toy room...which went good, then it was cleaning up the canned foods and organizing them onto a shelf...which went ok. By the time we got to the cleaning of refrigerator, we did about half and he quit.

doesnt show much responsibility, and he also went back to his regular routin of not helping out so he doesnt get his dog which he is looking forward to.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Warn them and mean it. If they don't clean up after themselves, its gone. They are old enough to understand this, and it will only take one time that they lose something and it won't happen again.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009