My 4 1/2 year old wants to wear nail polish...

My son goes to a Christian daycare and most of the little girls in his class wear nail polish. He has been asking me for weeks to paint his nails. I have NO issue with it other than nail polish is more a girl thing- but then I am torn about teaching anything being just for girls or just for boys.

Is it okay for me to paint them? I worry about kids making fun of him. I am also not sure if this will be a one time thing or if I do them once if he will always want them done. I asked him if maybe this weekend I do just his toes but he wants his fingers done too....

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2012 in General Parenting

• I you are worried about teasing then paint them on the weekends. If he wants to wear it to school let him. If the kids do tease him then I should hope the adults would step in.

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• i think you should paint his toenails,, I have no problem with him wearing nail polish on his fingernails, but the school might,, my ds was the same way at that age,, I let him paint his fingers on the weekend, and let him wear toenail polish when he felt like it,, I don't want him to be made fun of or teased so I agree with PP that off during the school week is best,
    I should also add that his favorite outfit at the time was a sparkly pink princess shirt,cowboy boots and these awful brown shorts, he then would top it with whatever one of my hats he chose, he is now 7, and is all boy, no worries momma.

Answer by kimigogo at 9:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• I told son no. But when we learned about Ancient India, we learned boys (men) painted their nails as a sign of manhood and courage/bravery. So he went to tell daddy he was going to paint his nails! And I guess my husband was lesssss than enthused and my ds never asked again!!!

Answer by txdaniella at 10:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Their was a post just like this not too long ago or maybe it was in groups? Many moms seemed to be ok with this but not me. Finger nail polish is what girls put on not boys. You also have to understand that he will be teased and no one wants that for their child. I do my best to teach my children the differences between sexes because that is my job as a parent. This is jmo, Im sure many will disagree with me however I truely think this might confuse your son. Gl and I hope you find a solution!

Answer by HmschoolingMom at 10:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• I wouldnt, as was already said, regardless if your ok with it, he will get teased for it.

Answer by minimo77 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• There are plenty of men out there that wear nail polish.

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Paint em lclear :)

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• I say go for it... I'm of the mindset that kids who are taught certain things are for boys and certain things are for girls are the ones who have low tolerance levels as adults (i.e. thinking if a man wears nail polish they assume he's gay, if a chick shoots a gun, they think she's a lesbian, etc). Different people like different things, and you should encourage your children. If he wants to paint his nails, let him. I've done my son's with clear nutrition nail polish before when I was doing mine because he wanted it, and he's still as tough as ever. It doesn't make him any less of a boy to do it. Not to mention, it shows him that he can rely on you to support his wants.

Answer by laird6372 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2012

• I would try maybe a light pastel color first..

Answer by emillee19c at 2:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2012

• With "things" being the way they are, instead of leaning so heavily on what is for girls and what is for boys, find out first how the school/teacher reaction will be. That can be the area with the most impact. There could very well be a policy on some gender bending rule you don't know about and you won't find out until the news reporters show up at your house. Or CPs. It is the little things that make the greatest headlines. As for him he's just a baby, but now is just as good a time as any to teach him. If you decide to polish his nails, keep in mind it may not be a one time deal, suppose he likes it. A lot. And it becomes a "habit" you have to remember kids are mean, he's going to be 5, all it will take is one kid being mean and then you will have that issue to deal with. Instead of polish, how about slanting the focus onto manicure, keeping his nails neat and clean. Best wishes :)

Answer by jdjamm at 9:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2012