Being accused of beign a druggy after c- sect?

I had a c-sect when I had my daughter. Due to her lungs being wet they transported her to a larger hospital where she stayed in the nicu...While I was at the other hospital I was sending over breastmilk by my husband for her...Once I got out of the hospital they told me that they couldn't give her my breastmilk because they gave her a drug screen and it was positive for methamphetimines,I told them that wasn't possible b/c I have NEVER touched a drug in my life so I took a drug screen.The next morning I came back and they told me that they still couldn't give her my bmilk b/c my results came back positive for cocaine...I asked if it could be from any of the meds from my c-sect and they said NO... They wouldn't let us take our daughter home until we met with a social worker which didn't arrive until the day after x-mas(she was born on the 20th).. They had mailed off her first stool and everything was negitive...Has this ever happened to any of you?

cadences_mom20

Asked by cadences_mom20 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No but that's insane! When my daughter was 12 days old she had a terrible cough and lots of mucus. I took her to the walk-in clinis at the last minute and the doc screened her for chlamydia which basically suggested I had given it to her during birth. I've never had an STD in my life so I was ticked! Turned out, she had RSV. I wish these "tests" they force on everyone were accurate, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Thats crazy! Did you get to take her home afterwards? That sounds like someone is the situation is lying. No one could take your daughter away from you just because of that reason.
    mom_amy_mason

Answer by mom_amy_mason at 5:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• ReneeK3-That is BS too! I'd be insulted too...

mom_amy_mason-I got to take her home once we talked to the social worker...The social worker got there before the independant lab did so we were good to go
    cadences_mom20

Answer by cadences_mom20 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• i am so sorry i have never been through this. i wish you the best of luck and my prayers are with you.
    amanru8

Answer by amanru8 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• do a little research....there are a lot of thing that can give a false positive on a drug screen...amphetamines will all show up the same (including cocaine) in most drug tests....i would ask for a full medical history of anything you were given and then reasearch it to see if it contains any amphetamines....when you figure out that it WAS something they gave you, as i suspect, then sue their asses off! there is PERMANENT documentation that the social worker investigated you, which harms your reputation and causes emotional distress...that is defiantely grounds for a law suit
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It did turn out to be a false positive. My daughters methamphetamines test was a false positive from the ampacillion(misspelled?) for the strep b before the surgery (don't ask me why they gave me that if I weren't having a vagional delivery) and mine was a false positive for cocaine from the lonicaine they gave me for the numbing of my back for my epidural.
    I also contacted a lawyer about all of this happening and he said that the hospital had a right to give my daughter a drug test ect and that there is no emotional distress for going through this for 1 week that I got my kid and thats it. The hospital claims that any baby that is in the nicu that the parents have to meet with a social worker before they go home
    cadences_mom20

Answer by cadences_mom20 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• But your baby had to stay in the NICU because of the false tests right? Not because she needed it? I would be one MAD MOMMA if they told me I couldn't take my baby home with me for no GOOD reason!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• She had to stay one extra night because of the false positive which was x-mas day...
    cadences_mom20

Answer by cadences_mom20 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Did you know that poppy seeds will give you a false/positive drug test. So what LoriaAnn said about lots of things giving you result like that. I would be so pissed if that were to happen to me!
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I'd go to the superior, ask to be tested yourself and to retest the baby.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2008