Do you cook with tofu?

if you do, how? how does it taste? how do you store it?

dragonlady320

Asked by dragonlady320 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2012 in Food & Drink

• I cook with tofu a couple of times a week: stir-fries, curries, etc. Send me a message if you would like some recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2012

• Anything that calls for meat I substitute tofu. My daughter loves it fried and dipped in Worcestershire sauce (gross). I make it into patties with spices for burgers. I buy it ground and seasoned for spaghetti sauce
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• It doesn't have a lot of taste on its own. So it tastes however you season it.

DH likes to bread it and then bake it in the oven. He'll serve it with a ginger soy sauce. I like to brown it in a wok until it's fairly crisp, and add lots of veggies. It's good as a protein in soups as well.

DS1 will eat it straight out of the box.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Tofu comes in blocks and is stored in water. There are different firmnesses, soft, medium and firm. There is no taste to it but it is like a flavor sponge and absorbs the flavors from the pot and the other foods around it. I use it in a stir fry with lots of vegies. It is high in protein and very lean and low in cholesterol.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• My MIL uses it a lot, but I don't cook with it much. I guess the best way to describe it is like a "blank slate" because it takes on the taste of what it is cooked with. She uses it in place of meat in a lot of her Japanese dishes, and it tastes like the sauces and other foods it was cooked with but a different texture. I think she just puts the unused portion of the pack in a tupperware in the fridge.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Not a big tofu eater, but first thing, it doesn't have much flavor, but it's like a sponge, it will absorb the flavors you cook it in, so marinating it is a good choice. You can grill it or bread and fry it and serve with a nice sauce.
    I mostly use tofu products like sour cream, cheese, vegetarian chorizo and I'm yet to try the tofu "meat". Because I keep kosher, finding products and ideas to substitute either meat or dairy products. I make a pretty good tofu cheesecake!

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2012

• And we usually don't store it because there are usually no leftovers with the 5 of us. Especially DS1.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2012

• Tofu burgers are delicious.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2012