Anyone else have a 1 year old who hits themself?

DD hits herself in the head on purpose when she doesn't get her way. It only seems to be when she's tired and ready for a nap. Anyone else?

RGladson

Asked by RGladson at 1:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah, lol. he gets mad and will slam his head on the floor or wall. he pulls his hair and when he gets really mad he clenches his fists and screams until his whole body is bright red. its not funny but it is. i'm assuming they just don't know how to let out their frustrations. he thinks its funny to hit himself in the head with toys. i also read that they bang their heads to take away from tooth pain and stuff. hopefully its a phase.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yep I believe that was about the age Jonah did that...Just ignore them, it will stop eventually. If you give her attn, then she will keep doing it. Just watch to make sure shes not hurting herself but dont make a big fuss about it, u know? Jonah also went thru a stage where he would hit his head on the floor when he threw a tantrum.
    Chevygurl350

Answer by Chevygurl350 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My daughter does it when I tell her no. Not every time but she has been known to pull her hair and hit me, and hit herself. She's calmed down with hitting me (knock on wood) I worked in day care for a long time, best thing is just to ignore them and they will eventually stop or just put them in their pack and play with no toys for a minute and walk away. They get the picture you don't want to be around them when they do that, gives them time to calm down and focus on something else too. Win Win
    mamaloveda

Answer by mamaloveda at 11:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009