I need mommies opinion that don't have kids in school.

a. What is your impression of students and teachers today?

b. Since you have no ties with the schools, how did you form your impression?

Jamie8788

Asked by Jamie8788 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I help with an online site that draws a lot of people who want to be writers. It is astounding how many of the young writers have no idea of grammar or spelling. And these are supposedly intelligent and educated young people. So I wonder about how much grammar education they received when they post on a writers' website their works that have such poor grammar and spelling.

Answer by Bmat at 3:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am answering this question, but I have experience on both sides of the fence....I homeschool three children, have two in public high school (who were homeschooled first!); my hubby is a high school math teacher, and my mom teaches 3rd grade.

I personally don't like public schools. It is not normally the teachers I don't care for...it is the curriculum and the fact that fewer and fewer parents actually raise their children. They let them grow up. You get kids in there (peers for your children) who will teach them to hit, bite, say ugly words, and teach them things that only adults should know! The curriculum is faulty at best and demonic at worst!
    School is more than just teachers and curriculum. It is also the kids that go there...and they are a mixed bag. This is something you can't control. You have lots of options....and lots to think about!
    Blessings!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 3:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My opinion of teachers and students is mainly based on my experiences when I was in school and the stories I hear from friends and coworkers who have kids in school.

I think there is a huge shortage of teachers who actually really love their job and do it well, in part because of all the junk they have to put up with on a daily basis. Kids are not held responsible for their actions. They're just taught to pass the test. I think the type of relationships that I had with some of my teachers are extremely rare now and it's that kind of connection that keeps kids interested in school and wanting to go farther in life. I really hate to think what the world is like when the teenagers of today are in charge. Public schools especially just seem to be an assembly line to get the kids out the door with a diploma regardless if they actually know anything to go with it.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Ok I am a future teacher and I must say that when I was in Elementry and middle school (even HS) the teachers were TERRIBLE for the most part. I'm 24 now and have the same opinion seeing my friends and relatives kids in schools. There are exceptions however *ahem ahem* lol. I would make sure to be an active participant and make sure things are going they way they should.
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 4:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Our public school system here in Toledo Ohio is in crisis...I refuse to send my kids there just because it is free...does them no good when they learn nothing even if they want to and are surrounded by peoples kids who cause trouble and disruptions. Private school is our choice and we are very pleased with the results. Homeschooling is great but not for us...my kids just really need that social aspect they get in regular school.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009