Do you get state assistance?

I've been looking for a job for months now, I've even gotten to the annoying point of calling people over and over to see if I can get the job. No luck in this tiny town. My SO's hours got cut down and we need extra income somehow.. Can you get state assistance if you're married, or just a single mom.. I live in California.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• i receive assistance and they drive me crazy but i have no other choice..
    and you can get it even if your married!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I used to be a social worker. Yes you can. Use this calculator to see what you might be able to get-

http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal?_nfls=false&_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=gbcc_page_benefits

My husband just lost his job last night. If we dont find something FAST- as in- in the next two-three weeks, we'll be looking at some temporary assistance ourselves.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I dont get assistance but I assist low income families, mostly teen moms, and sometimes they need help with assistance. If you make under a specific amount you qualify for various programs. You can apply for food stamps and medicaid. I would start with that. I would stay away from TANF only because you do have to pay that back and unless youre desperate it isnt worth it, plus you do have some income so you might not qualify anyway. If you have a child under 5 you also qualify for WIC. I would start with those programs. All they can say is no. And remember its not a big deal to need help for a short time. Your taxes paid into those programs after all.

Answer by gemgem at 2:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009