what would you do?

our car was hit by a company vechile and it was not damaged badly... the bumper was cracked a li bit but it was still driveable.. we pd 500 for the car a yr ago and were gona get a new car at tax time anyways.. t we took it in for an esitmate and hey said it would cost alomst 1000 to fix the bumper cuz they have ot put a whole new.. the insiurance lady for the company of the car that hit us told me we DO NOT have to use the money to fix the car.. so we were thinking we would just keep the money and use it toward stuff we need instead..i am laid off right now so we need the monye anways.. do you think its bad ot just keep it.. the lady said we could just keep but i still feel like its dishonest for some reason .. waht would you do

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have had that happen before LOL. I call them throw away cars. When something happens you can throw the keys in the bushes and walk away. In your case I would. I had one get the window broken from a dump truck for the city and they sent me a check for $375 to fix it. Instead I had money saved and used my savings & that money and got a new car. I sold the other car to the junk yard. Dont feel bad about it. They owe you the money for the damage. If you dont want to fix it you dont have to.

Answer by gemgem at 2:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I work in a car body shop and we see it all the time. As long as the check is made only to you and not to you and the body shop, then you can pocket them money no problem. If it has the body shop name on it then they have to endorse it before you can do anything with it. Some will and some wont. We would as long as a car doesn't have a lein holder on it that way we could not be held liable for not fixing the damages. And yes, it is prob true that it would cost $1000.00 to FIX the car, because parts are unbelievable expensive. The littlest bump will cost an arm and a leg. If it is driveable and i could pocket the money I WOULD.
    Anonymous

• It isn't dishonest at all. They damaged something of yours and have the responsibility to pay you for it. What you do with the money is your business. Period.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 3:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Keep the money, it's not dishonest. It would be pointless to fix a car like that. The money you are getting is from damages caused, not necessarily for damages to be fixed, that is totally up to you!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Follow your conscience.

Anonymous