can someone please explain what braxton hicks feels like....

im not sure and all i get out of anyone is your abdomen tightning but i dont know what that feels like neither. i feel like my stomach tightens sometimes but it feels like the baby pushing out at my tummy. it doesnt hurt (most of the time) but is it braxton hicks and do i tell my doctor i am having them or i think i am or is it no biggie? (im 30 weeks so i know it is normal to have them im just not sure if i am)

1-teen-mommy

Asked by 1-teen-mommy at 2:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well really the only way to tell you is that your tummy tightens up all around it gets hard as a rock for a min or so then relaxes. They dont hurt and they arnt that big of a deal they dont cause any change to your cervix. I guess its kind of like a tighting of a muscle it doesnt really feel like baby is pressing up against you. I dont know its hard to explain its like trying to tell you what labor feels like.
    Anonymous

• For me, my stomach went rigid. It was the difference between pushing on a ball - which gives a little - and pushing on a boulder - which doesn't give at all. Sometimes I'd just have a "huh, something feels different down there" feeling and I'd reach down and touch my tummy. The entire thing would be rock hard.
    Hope that helps!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• they are normal, they dont' mean anything other than your near the end. the baby is practicing. mine were like cramps. i had painful period cramps and thats what i compared them to. if my period cramps were on a scale 1-5 1 being not bad at all, you know its coming but they really don't bother you and 5 curled in a ball on the couch screaming for your pms pills. i would say braxton hicks were a 2 and the start of labor pains were a 3 labor pains were like a 5+
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• women are built to forget the pains of pregnancy so don't be frustrated when someone can't explaine, they really just can't.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have 2 small children and one is 4 mths today so labor is still very familiar to me lol.I would just tell you to trust your instincts,everyones pregnancy is completely different.If you fell the need to let your doctor know what is goin on then you should.I always did,don't feel like you would be bothersome,thats what you pay him for ,lol.I went to the hospital twice with my second one thinkin I was in labor,and got sent home both times lol.
    BoutiqueMommy

Answer by BoutiqueMommy at 2:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• With me, the Braxton-Hicks felt like my stomach suddenly became a beach ball! These are just "practice contractions". Your body is gearing up for the real thing. The muscles need to practice or they won't be able to do an effective job when the time comes...like trying to run a marathon without ever having run around the block!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 2:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• 30 weeks is about the time I started having BH contractions, too. Everyone is right- they are quite normal and your doctor probably won't care either way if you are having them. They are your body's way of "exercising" your stomach muscles to prepare for labor. They feel like a non-painful cramp (if you've ever had a "twitch" in your hand, leg, etc. - imagine a twitch that lasts for 30 to 60 seconds in one position, and THAT is what a BH feels like). The only thing to remember is that BH contractions feel COMPLETELY different than labor contractions, so even if you having a ton of BH contractions it isn't anything to get worked up about, you really will feel a difference in the labor pains. They are PAINS, as opposed to the BH contractions.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 3:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009