How do I help my child to stop with the nightmares?

She's 2 and a half years old and every night she cries and whimpers all night long. The other night in her sleep she told me (still asleep) that daddy was punching her face. Then she woke up and forgot all about it. But she has nightmares every night... I just want to help her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well i would watch how others are around her and what she watches hope this helps
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster. No rough play, monitor what's on TV, what conversations she hears, and what she eats or drinks before bed (low sugar). You might try to play a soothing CD (classical, etc) for her at night to see if that will calm her too.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• soothing music in the background while she sleeps...my son has a santa night light that he loves.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I can completely sympathize with you.My child just turned 2,and she use to wake up screaming in the middle of the night,one night literally for an hour and a half.You just feel so helpless,because you feel like there is nothing that you can do.I don't know if you are a religous person,but I started to pray with my child and plead the blood of Jesus over here every night before we go to bed.End on a positive note with her before she falls asleep wether it be saying her prayers with her,reading her a bedtime story,or singing her a little song.My daughter hasn't had anymore night mares in about a month,so praying has definitely helped in our situation.I hope maybe something I said can be of help.God Bless!
    BoutiqueMommy

Answer by BoutiqueMommy at 2:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm not sure if your religious, but sometime a night time prayer with your little one helps. My little one always reminds me before bed time. That works for us!

PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My daughter occasionally wakes up with nightmares and I agree about religious prayer being useful. We're Wiccan and do something similar. If the moon (a representation of the goddess) is out she goes back to bed because I told her that She'll keep her safe and if not she comes to my room so that I can spray away the ghosts/monsters with Monster Spray (Lysol) =)
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 4:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2009