Is this racial profiling?

I was shopping in TJ Maxx with my son in PA, when I tried to pay with a check, the Manager refused it, saying it was a starter check. The check had all my info printed on it, so it was not a starter check. I had my ID, etc. The Manager still refused my payment. Then he asked very rudely, "if I had any other way of paying", I told him yes I have credit cards, and I took out a wad of cash. He looked surprised, so I about to leave the store, but my son begged me to get his clothes from there since they're the only store that had his size.

So, I paid with my credit card after which I asked him why he wouldn't accept my check. He still insisted it was a starter check. By this time there was a long line of customers, most put their items back and left the store. Every customer was white except me, I'm Native American and was the only person of color in the store.

sondray

Asked by sondray at 2:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• um i think that he was being a jerk...maybe he had a bad expereience with someone similar to you. either way you need to complain and had it been me i would have left the pile of clothes on his register and demanded to talk to the store manager.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Do you know if the number on top of the check was check # 150 or under. I use to work for TJ Maxx and the one I worked at said all check #'s under 150 are started checks.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 2:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Racial Profiling I think not
    alot of places will not take starter checks...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I worked for Sears and we could not take starter checks either. A lot of places can't. Not sure why tho, if you wanted to print up fake checks you could put high numbers in that corner just as easily. AND I know I usually have the most money right when I open the acct. It's weeks later that I am broke! LOL
    Anonymous

• I agree with 'chagenue' . Maybe he has had a bad experience in the past. I too agree that you need to file a complaint against this man. He may not have been being racial but non the less, he was being nasty to you. He couldn't give you an explination other than claiming it was a starter check. I recomend that in the future if someone is giving you a hard time, ask to speak to the manager. Sorry that you were made to feel discriminated against!
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 2:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Could be or he could just be an ass. I'd call their corporate office and ask about this policy.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Some of you ladies aren't reading her post right!! It wasn't a starter check!! He was claiming it was......
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 2:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• No one takes checks where I live anymore. Most places won't take them if the check number is lower. Too many start new accounts buy stuff and then close them another way of stealing. I doubt it was your race. Unless you stood there and watched him take starter checks from others you don't have a reason to think this. Geez.
    Anonymous

• They aren't reading right because they keep saying talk to the manager--this jerk WAS the manager!
    Anonymous

• "It wasn't a starter check!! "
    The definition of "starter check" varies. For some places, as long as it's a real check with an account number and name it's ok, but for others, any check below a certain number is still considered a starter check. The whole story is missing that detail - what number the check is. If it's over 500, then yes, he was being a jerk. If it's under 500, it's probably store policy.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009