My son touches himself...

My son is 15 months old and has deffinatly found his "pee pee". Sometimes when I rub the original desitin on him his thang gets hard. And today after a shower he was laying on the couch and i was trying to get him dressed and put his diaper on. But when I went to put it on he was playing with and and sort of grunting. My mother said that he is too young and this is a bad thing. "That never happened with her son and other boys she babysat" I know its not right to totally discourage self discovery. But I hate my mother making me feel like I molest my son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell her this is normal. My son does it too. He humps everything.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 2:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• He just exploring. He found something new and dont know what it is. My little brother done the same thing when he was little. I would just over look her and not worry about it. He dont know what he is doing he just knows he found something lol
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It's perfectly normal, all kids discover themselves at some point. I'd limit self exploration to maybe bath time, and pull his hands away any other time he touches with no comments of it being nasty or bad. Make sure you are wiping his hands down after each touch and tell your mother to take a child development class or just to shut up.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My son is 15 months too and has newly discovered he has a penis. It's normal. It's just something new that he didn't know was there before. Babies are curious, when he gets older just explain that it's his penis and everyboy has one. As for your mother, you should tell her to mind her own business.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 2:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• tell her to shut her trap. my son does it all the time. when he is sleepy on the couch at night we change is diaper and put his diaper on and he always has a little boner and when i try to wipe or even as soon as i take off the diaper he giggles. he constantly takes off his diaper to explore. i ususally give him 5 before putting his diaper back on. the funniest is when he showers with daddy and is comparing. its not gross its human nature.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Ok babys are reactive. He got poking around and something felt good. Toddler logic is "do it again'' this happens with baby girls too
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 3:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My 2 year old does that too. She even went so far as to poke at the opening. She tugs at it a lot too. I was horrified. After speaking with several other mother's, then talking to her pediatrician, I was reassured that it's normal. I was afraid someone who came over and saw this behavior would think she got touching herself from seeing someone else do it. Your mother's children may not have done it, but I have yet to meet a mother who's child has not 'explored'
    Anonymous

• It is completely normal. When I was potty training my first son, he sat around with his hands in his pullups all the time, I'd just tell him take his hands out of his pants, and he would and later on he'd be back with his hands in his pants. He's figuring out what it is, and what happens when he touches it. Somethings you just have to say are ok as long as he's not doing it in public. Don't make a big deal about it, just try to discourage him from doing it all the time. Alot of times they are just bored, so it's something to do. lol
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 12:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Do not compare your child to others. Toughing himself is perfectly normal. My son does this too. Your son is doing this because he's discovered something new and he likes how it feels when he touches himself.Tell your mother that he's perfectly normal. Don't let your mother make you feel bad. She just doesn't understand. And don't discourage self discovery unless he's doing it during Church services. LAUGH. RELAX. He's a baby.
    JourdansMommy

Answer by JourdansMommy at 4:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2009