what to do with constipation in almost 5 month old?

he has started eatingcereal and 1st stage baby food and we use breastmilk and formula in his bottles...the little guy was straining so hard his face turned red and onlt a little bit of poo came out and it was pretty solid....what do i do to help him? thanks.

Keri77

Asked by Keri77 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get dark corn surup

was told by my sons dr.
    HAUTMAMMA3908

Answer by HAUTMAMMA3908 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Kyro syrup. Just add a small amount to his formula and it chould help him. My daughter used to get constipated alot when she was under a year old and that always helped her. HYou can get it at WalMart.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When my son gets constipated I usually try to give him a lot of fruits and veggies. When he was that young though I would give him a little water with a little bit of sugar in it and that helped also. I hate when my baby is constipated because thats so painful for them! Good luck :-)
    Cadens_Mommy118

Answer by Cadens_Mommy118 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Prune juice. Not to much though. or plum smart

Answer by louise2 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• put a teaspoon of kyro syurpe in his bottle it usually helps with in 12 hours. its a magical secret i was glad to learn from grandma when my son was that little. Its safe for them and it even works for adults to if your constipated. good luck hope the little guy feels better soon.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• a little applesauce always did the trick for my son
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Wow I never knew about the karo syrup. Yes about the watered down prune juice. Anything apple like juice or applesauce. If its only a once in a while thing you can uhhh self stimulate. Put on a finger cot or a latex glove and some vasiline and stimulate his anus until the poop comes out. But again thats not an all the time solution.
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 3:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My doctor said to put a tablespoon of karo syrup in 2 oz of water. Or 3 oz of water and a tablespoon of sugar.
    Anonymous

• My dr said to stay away from Karo syrup as it isn't safe for little ones. Apple juice or mashed up grapes worked for my daughter...still does lol
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 3:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My 7 month old gets constipated really east since he started solids. We use Pear Juice as recomended by our pedi. It seems to work from him. There is actually a powder you can get at the natuarl health food store called Baby Max Adopholis. Putting a little of this in their bottle once a day can prevent constipation.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 3:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009