Is online dating safe and what are some rules you should go by?

zenme1

Asked by zenme1 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• personally i dont trust it, cuz u never really know who they are!!! they could be some serial killer and is giving u pics of someone else!!!! but if u are going to do online dating, and u decide to meet- STAY IN A CROWDED AREA, IF U MEET- LIKE A MALL, if u are just getting into it, then seriously, talk to them for a while, and i dont mean like 2 months, i mean like 6 months to a year before meeting them!!!! trust me, it can save you your life!!! and dont talk dirty to them just yet, cuz it could just be a perv that wants to get his nut off!!!!!
    Good luck!!!
    Ms.Beth1214

Answer by Ms.Beth1214 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• meet in a public place and do a background check on them. google him. find out where he works and make a phone call to verify, something like "Yes, i just needed to verify a work number for Mr. John Doe. Is he still employed there?" maybe ask for an address (not a PO box) to send a card or to. if all these check out, he's probably legit. and ALWAYS have a "safe call". when you meet him for the first few times, tell a friend where you are going and have them call you an hour into the date. if you dont want to sound like a freak just say something like "sure, i'll have those files for you first thing monday morning" for everything is okay or "oh my god! i'll be right there" for things arent going so good and give you an excuse to leave. also, let your friend know that they need to hear your voice, anyone can pretend to be you texting. if you dont answer, they are to come to the meeting place and try to find you. if they cant find you, they call the police
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 6:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My dad met his wife through online dating and I've been on dates with several men (before I married) with men I met online either through an online dating service (Match.com) or just through chat.
    wondra

Answer by wondra at 7:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Personally, I couldn't stand the idea of online dating..just because people could turn out to be someone they don't seem like, or some serial killer rapist...but I met my now husband on myspace...and we couldn't be happier. The only advice I can give you is if you try it and decide to meet up with someone online, ALWAYS take a friend who can defend/protect you if it comes down to it...it's what I did.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• no
    Anonymous

• My hubby and I met through the internet. We just celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary. If you want more info please let me know and I'll be happy to tell you about our experience.
    Jodi
    mrs.jodi

Answer by mrs.jodi at 9:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2008

• well i am a fan of online dating myself. i have talked to probably i dont remember how many guys but have met only a handful. Some just didnt work out for what ever reason. i met my current boyfriend online and am very happy. He was like 2 hrs away but drove to meet me. He is military and now that he is on base he is closer to me. we have talked about a lot of things and he knows just about everything about me. I would have never met him had i not done the online thing. I personally think it is not different than going to a bar and picking up a guy. At least online alcohol is usually not a factor
    Anonymous