am i being selfish and childish or am i just being normal??

ok so i need to know something. my fiance and i have been trying to come up witrh a name and we have a partial one. i like Brenda-Faith Grace Cordell. He doesnt like Brenda so he said he likes Maria. Ok well Maria is a pretty name and i like it but unfortunately his ex girlfriends name is Mary. I feel like that if we name her maria i will be reminded of Mary all the time.im willing to let go of brenda and agree on something but am i not agreeing on this name for the right reason??? my mom says that i shouldnt name her that if i am going to think about her everythime i say my kids name but i still feel like i am being selfish and childish. am i? or is it ok not to pick a name based on that??? please help!!!

1-teen-mommy

Asked by 1-teen-mommy at 2:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah i can see your point. tell him that you don't like the name and would be willing to pick something else. i would suggest going through a baby book or a baby name website to put some different names in his head. maybe he will change his mind.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i wouldn't bring up the x girlfriend thing as your reason though he will say your being petty.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you are remined of his ex every time you here that name then I wouldn't use it. Unless you can get over the fact that his Ex's name is mary and not Maria then use it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• mary means "bitter"
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 2:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i totally agree with you! my dh kept coming up with all of these names that reminded me of his exs or people from my past that i couldnt stand! I always wanted faith for my daughters name, but when i found out his crazy exs daughter is named faith i just couldnt have that name anymore. i dont think youre being selfish. youre willing to compromise, that shows that youre not childish. and not wanting a name that gives you bad memories is totally understandable!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree, I wouldnt name my kid something that would remind me of the ex. Go through baby names and find oun you both like....or maybe Faith Grace Cordell or Grace Faith Cordell? Just leave it at the two you already agree on??
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• faith grace cordell is beautiful!
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 3:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Why does MARIA remind you of MARY? They are completely different names, but I don't think you should name your child something that reminds you of an ex! I wanted my son's middle name to be Robert, after my grandfather, but I also have and an ex named Robby so DH said no, eventually we came to an agreement....Good luck. =)
    Anonymous

• well mary and maria are 2 different names but i guess if it reminds you of his ex then dont name your kid that and Tell him why. i Do think its kinda childish since it Is 2 different names
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I really liked the name Mia, but my ex-boyfriend's, ex-girlfriend's daughter was named that. It's far removed and I could care less about that ex, but I still always think about her when I say that name. I wouldn't want to have unpleasant associations with my daughter's name. You should find a name you both like, otherwise, you'll just be annoyed about it. I don't think it's childish, it's your kid, your popping her out, you shouldn't have to compromise with a name that makes you feel uncomfortable, regardless of why.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009