Break Them From Being Clingy?

I've tried plan out telling my daughter no but she's still very clingy. She always wants to pull me around, be held and always wants things she can not have. Any tips other then yelling, time out or ignoring her?

mom_n_goddess

Asked by mom_n_goddess at 3:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Separation anxiety is a normal part of child growth/development.
    Practice with her. Gate her in her playroom. Play with her for a few minutes and then say "mommy will be right back I'm going to ___". Go do something quick (or just step into another room for a minute or two) then come back. She'll get the hang of it. Be sure to praise her for playing well on her own.
    Practice walking places with her and give her lots of praise for walking like a big girl.
    Ignore tantrums. They'll stop when she sees they don't get her anywhere.
    If she wants something that's off limits, tell her it's adults only very matter of factly. If she wants something she can have but it's the wrong time, tell her so matter of factly.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Unless you are consistent with it nothing will work. Have you tried the other things that you have listed and been consistent with them? Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• yup i have tried ignoring her and time outs almost every time and she still pulls on me, whines and throws fits.
    mom_n_goddess

Answer by mom_n_goddess at 3:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• This is sooo my son. I can't even use the bathroom in peace. I heard, like everything else, that it is a phase. One thing that I have tried lately is to set the micro. timer. I set it for 10-15 minutes and then direct him to an activity that he can play on his own. I don't just say go play with your cars I say why don't you line all of your cars up and push them (or whatever). Then I do whatever I need to and I don't play with him until the timer goes off. If he wants to play, I just remind him that he needs to play by himself until he hears the beep. However, as soon as the timer goes off I do as I promised and I stop what I am doing and we play something. Then we play for a little while and I set it again. He seems to be doing a little better with the clingy. I hope to start extending the time a little soon. Just a thought!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009