I am behind on politics, but why is obama freezing the pay of white house people?

I just read in a post that Obama is freezing the pay of white house personel who make over $100,000 per year. Will someone tell me why, is he re-evaluating there pay? I do agree that there numerous people up in high political postiions that make entirely too much, but freezinf there pay may be a little harsh. How long is he freezing it for. Someone clue me in or tell me where to go read about it. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm sure it's to make him look more accountable for the excessive cost of the inauguration and make him seem more fiscally transparent!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Its all smoke and mirrors. Its what they call doing something to show a point even though there is no point and the ppl hes affecting wont feel the pinch. I mean come on. Its beyond silly.
    Anonymous

• You know Lori, I thought about that very same thing. And then I watched Anderson Cooper on 360 last night say the very same thing about not alerting press to the 2nd oath deal. One reporter overheard a telephone conversation in the WH and alerted media, and of all people on of all stations, Cooper on CNN is questioning Obama's transparency this early. I laughed so hard.
    Sorry I got off track a bit, but seriously, $100K is not alot of money in DC, and I wonder how many of those WH staff members were black and said to themselves, "WTF just happenend?"
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That's funny akin!

I'm sure there are gonna be about 66,000,000 people asking "WTF just happened" soon enough! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• its a good-faith gesture. Obama is doing it to show that they don't need anymore money, especially with the economy going down the drain. pays are frozen until further notice, but i doubt it will lost too long.

Obama also made a buncha new rules for lobbists when dealing w/ ppl in his administration. this should be the real news! personally, i think its a step in the right direction. i got my info from http://www.realclearpolitics.com/politics_nation/2009/01/obama_orders_pay_freeze_ethics.html
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You know the staff got all excited to start taking care of that family only to be the first ones in line to be slapped in the face.( I'll send you another slap in the face if you feel like reading it, from Zero.)
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• only pay raises are frozen, not their actual pay...

Anonymous

• Yeah really. He is freezing anual raises for his employees that make over 100k. I wish some of the higher ups here in Nevada would do this instead of cutting teachers pay.

StacyMarie1029

Answer by StacyMarie1029 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• annual Sorry!

StacyMarie1029

Answer by StacyMarie1029 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• the point is, the magic cutoff was $250,000.that was the level of richness established by obama. everyone else thought they were going to get something, anything,just something. now nobody is safe from him.
    Anonymous