How much do pay a Nanny/Babysitter?

Ok so everyone knows im getting married and of course i want to have a nice wedding. So me and my SO are trying to get two jobs and hes trying to go to school. The thing is that when we come home we are exhausted and dont feel like watching the kids or doing anything. We never had a babysitter or nanny before because of course its hard to trust someone. So my question is how do i go about getting a babysitter, and how much should i pay for a babysitter to also take the kids out and do light housework? Me and my SO works opposite shifts and are planning to get extra jobs to pay off debt, so we can get a house in two years but it hasnt been easy to do it because of the kids. Please Help!

brit041

Asked by brit041 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• That can vary tremendously depending on where you live and what hours you are needing help. If you have a nearby college, that is a good place to find someone who can work odd (not 9-5) type hours. I pay my babysitter $10 an hour to watch 2 toddlers on Saturdays, though I could probably have offered her les and she would have taken it; she doesn't do any housework, but it might be different if the kids were older. We pay a different person $50 to come by and clean for us every other week. During the week I use a daycare and pay $220 for all week for both of them. Some other options might be part-time daycare or parent's day out. There are also websites for finding registered childcare or babysitters with references.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I forgot, also if you have a church that is a good place to look for someone to help you out.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• To find a good sitter you should ask around to people you know and trust. Get their input and then make a surprise visit to check on the place. We use a daycare that we love and we pay $110. a week, our child is a year old. We found our daycare by asking close friends and checking in on alot of places. You'd be surprised what you will find on surprise visits.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We pay $10 a hour for the twins. We found them through the daycare they attended as infants. We only have them about 3 hours a week.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2009