Punishments?

I have ideas of my own but I'd like some others. What are some effective punishments for 19 month olds? I know every child is different but what do you use?

mom_n_goddess

Asked by mom_n_goddess at 3:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 19 mos a child is still a little young to really understand "time out" but it doesn't mean you can't use a time out of sorts (use them sparingly though or they lose their meaning). Try this: remove him from the trouble spot and say "no ___" then hold the child in your lap facing away from you for a minute and repeat "no __" give him a hug and kiss and move on.
    I have 26 mos old twin boys. I use T.O. for serious offenses like biting, hitting, etc.
    For lesser offenses like say when one throws a toy because he's mad, I make him pick up the toy. If he won't do it on his own, I take him by the hand and with my hand over his, help him pick up the toy. In most cases a firm "No __" followed by redirecting their attention works. Also, be sure to praise your son as much as possible when he is behaving nicely. Be specific too.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• we mostly use timeout
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• yea, I think time outs would be most effective at that age.
    Anonymous