When to switch to a toddler bed?

When is a good time to change from a crib to a toddler bed?

mom_n_goddess

Asked by mom_n_goddess at 3:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have an 20 month old and a 9 month old and, when we brought her home on his b-day, I realized that maybe it was time to put him his room, but i had a hard time, so i finally did it when I just never got sleep and I did it at 14 months, he handled it great, and now he knows to go get in his bed.
    nicki1018

Answer by nicki1018 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My boys went to regular queen-sized beds at 18 months! One side was against the wall, and we bought side rails from the One Step Ahead company (.com). Of course, we had a waterproof mattress protector, and just used a fitted sheet over it, and a lightweight comforter/throw or small fleece blanket.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• As long as a child is in a bed by age 4 it's up to you. If your child is asking for a bed , go for it. If your child no longer fits in his crib or isn't sleeping well anymore move him to a bed.

We plan to move our 26 mos old twins into regular twin beds pretty soon. I'd rather keep them in their cribs until their third birthday but we travel a lot and they really don't fit in their pack n plays anymore so the sooner I get them used to sleeping in a bed, the better (and less to pack too!).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The AAP suggests keeping toddlers in a crib until 3, with the parent finding some way to prevent them from climbing out.
    Why?
    The dangers aren't just them falling from the crib while climbing or falling out of a bed. The biggest danger is having a toddler loose in the house in the middle of the night. Toddlers have lots of go-see-do and very little common sense. Even when confined in their bedrooms, toddlers can be hurt or killed when they have no supervision – and baby-proofing products are designed to be used with supervision.
    So, when do you switch your child?
    (1) When your child no longer wiggles all over the place in their sleep. That makes it less likely they will fall out of bed.
    (2) When you think your child is mature enough to handle the freedom to get out of bed whenever he or she wants.
    (3) When you have the energy to play the "silent-return-to-bed" game dozens of times each evening and every night.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i think it depends on the child, i moved my daughter to a toddler bed around 11 mths, she's done just fine, (though she never had a crib, she went from my bed to her own) the first few months i put pillows in the floor surrounding the open side, just in case she fell out. we also put a baby gate up in her door way so she couldn't roam the house if she woke up. it was kinda hard at first, having to put her back in bed 3-4 times before she finally went to sleep but she eventually got the idea. she is 17 mths now, and i love it cause at nap time/ bed time she knows to go get in bed by herself and all i do is come in and do our bed time routine ( which is helpfull cause im 33 wks and exhausted as it is)
    mrs.cooley

Answer by mrs.cooley at 3:28 AM on Jan. 23, 2009