I bought a bag of 16 bean soup with ham flavoring, How in the world do I cook it?

They are dry beans so do I cook them on the crockpot or on the stove? I know that may sound stupid but I am clueless in the kitchen....LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Sorry meant to say IN the crockpot.
    Anonymous

• You just boil water, add the package contents and let simmer until the beans swell and get soft. Relax! You CAN'T mess up making soup--unless of course, you forget about the pot, and let the water completely evaporate! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You can do it either way. I cooked them in a crockpot and added some sausasge - it made a nice hearty meal plus left-overs!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I know exactly what you are talking about, we eat those all the time. There is a "quick cook method" on the back of the bag. Its real easy!!
    Anonymous

• Do I have to soak the beans first?
    Anonymous

• There should be directions on the package. I like to soak the beans overnight. I dump off the soaking water and boil about an hour and dump off that water, and repeat. This gets rid of some of the gas-producing chemicals. Then boil until soft. I'd recommend tossing out the flavoring packet, it is full of artificial stuff. Salt and pepper to your taste. Add onions, and a chuck or ham or sausage would add a better taste. You could even dump off the last cooking water and use broth or stock instead of water for the soup to make a richer flavor. Carrots and potatoes and even celery are other nice vegetables in bean soup.

Answer by Bmat at 3:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Sorry- ^^^^ "a chunk of ham or sausage"

Answer by Bmat at 3:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you don't have time to soak them overnight you use the quick cook method
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies for your help.
    Anonymous

• I have found that if I do the quick cook method like this it works wonders and all my beans taste so much better. ....wash your beans, add to pot, cover with 2 inches of water and add 1/8th of a teaspoon of baking soda. Boil 2 minutes, let soak like the bag says. Drain, rinse, refill with water or chicken broth but only to about 3/4 of an inch over the beans, add more baking soda and cook till tender. THEN when they are finished cooking I add salt, pepper, onion and whatever meat I am using or the seasoning packet at the end. If you do all that before the salt and onion makes the beans tough and it cooks the flavor out of everything else. Then I let it set and cool for about 30 minutes to give all the flavors time to come together....I always get rave compliments on my beans so I hope you'll try it and hope you like it!
    Anonymous