How do i get my 18 months old to stop WINING all the time?

My son is always wining even when he isnt pointing at anything he wants. i can even take him out in public without him wining for whatever it is he is wining about. Do i just ignore him? or listent o him wine.

nicoleladams19

Asked by nicoleladams19 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One of my 26 mos old twins whines more than the other does. I simply say to him: D, stop whining and tell me what it is you want, use your words. Most of the time he gets it together enough to use his words and tell me. When he was younger and didn't have as many words I'd try to work it out with him: Do you want your cup? or Do you want this truck? etc.
    If he's SUPER whiney, I say to him "mommy can't understand you when you're whining, I'll listen to you when you can stop whining" He either calms down and tells me what he wants or he moves on.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Tell him you will listen to him when he stops whining. Then ignore him until he can say what he needs to say.
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 3:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I totally disagree with the pp. You need to PAY ATTENTION TO HIM. My son used to do that and I worked very very hard with him to get him talking to me. TEACH HIM!
    Anonymous

• say "i can't understand you when you talk like that" and ignore it. thats what i do with my niece and IT WORKS.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 3:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• with my oldest i just told her mommy doesn't understand wining. and continued with what i was doing.
    She stopped after a few days.

lol...anon poster needs to keep her anon opinions to herself.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 3:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2009