Will smoking pot affect breastfeeding?

I have not smoked while pregnant OR nursing...i'm going to a party this weekedn(1st tme being out sinc ei had the baby) and was thinking about unwinding a bit and i'm just wondering if it would affect breastfeeding or the baby if i did?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Health

• ANYTHING that you take in while pregnate or breastfeeding will be passed to the baby. at least thats what ive always been told.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think you know the answer to this question,would you hand your baby a joint and let him/her smoke it.? I would hope not.Anything goes in your body,will as well go in the babys DUH!
    Anonymous

• Anything that you intake goes into your breast milk. Even if you wait a few days..pot will sill linger in your system but I'm not certain for how long.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Wow...not being judgmental but this is a LOADED question. Fasten your seat belts ladies...we're in for a bumpy ride...LOL
    Anonymous

• If you are set upon doing it, pump enough milk for at LEAST 24 hours of feedings (more if you can) before you do. That way you are not putting as much harm onto your child. But in all honesty I advice against it at all.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 3:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• actually, the breast filters most of what you put into you body. If you take anything in excess, there will be traces of it in the breastmilk. If you take one toke, there will be no traces of it in your breastmilk. If you smoke all day, then yes there probably will be.
    Anonymous

• Is smoking something the only way you can unwind? Why would you even take a chance on harming your baby.I kinda agree with anon3;39 about giving your baby a joint,really it is no different,it is still going into the babys system.Please think long and hard ,before you unwind,remember,it is not just you unwinding.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Anyone who would ask this question more than likely shouldn't be breastfeeding in the 1st place. There are plenty healthy ways to unwind. A small glass of wine. Reading a movie...go for a walk. Something other than drugs - that really is a no-brainer.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 2:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 by: Anonymous
    actually, the breast filters most of what you put into you body. If you take anything in excess, there will be traces of it in the breastmilk. If you take one toke, there will be no traces of it in your breastmilk. If you smoke all day, then yes there probably will be.

WHAT??????? That's ridiculous. I don't know where you got your facts but I'd like to see the source.
    Anonymous

• A small to moderate amount will be in your breast milk. It will most likely make the baby sleepy.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/marijuana.html

it is NOT the same as giving your baby a joint if you do not smoke regularly.

Really,it's no different than taking most medications and breast feeding. {other than the issue of legality.}
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 3:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009