MYson is five and still wears pullups to bed.

wHEN HE DOES'NT WEAR THEM HE WETS THE BED AND NEVER OPENS AN EYE.hE IS A DEEP SLEEPER AND SLEEPS RIGHT THROUGH IT ALL.i CUT OFF DRINKS JUST BEFORE BED AND HAVE HIM GO TO THE BATHROOM BEFORE HE GOES TO SLEEP.wHAT CAN i DO TO GET HIM TO WAKE UP AND USE THE BATHROOM AT NIGHT?sHOULD i SET MY ALARM?

marley508

Asked by marley508 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• stop fluids about an hour or two before bedtime, if he is thirsty give a small amount of water, get the pull ups that allow him to feel wet, this might help him to wake up once he feels wet and allow his body to wake him once he understands the feeling....you and your SO can wake him when ya'll get up in the middle of the night to pee to help get him in the habbit of waking.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• my nephew is a very heavy sleeper. he was in night time pullups until he was 11 or so. my brother, was the same way. he was about 10 before would sleep through the night without wetting the bed. often times he would get up to go, but was sleep walking and who knows where he would end up. you could set your alarm and get him up in the night. i have a friend who does this with her 7 yr old or he will wet the bed. that and cutting off drinks 2 hrs before he goes to bed are the only way she does not have wet sheets to clean in the morning!
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Call a hospital supply company and purchase a bed-wetting alarm. You can also Google it and find one on the web. I wet the bed until I was 8 because I was such a deep sleeper. My mom got me the alarm, and after 2 weeks with it I never wet the bed again. The alarm is a thin sheet that goes underneath the fitted sheet and goes off when the child pees. You have to get up and change the sheets, but in a short period of time he'll learn to hold it or wake up and use the bathroom. Good luck.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 4:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have a nephew who did this for years. He is now 14 and is a lot better. He needed to be medicated bc his mom tried everything. But she told me the doc said no liquids and no food 3hrs before bedtime. (food contains liquids). i would get a mattress pad and get rid of the pull ups for 3 days, and see what happens. Good Luck
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My dd was in pullups until she was 6. She is an extremely hard sleeper as well. She finally outgrew it. Good luck hon! Your not alone in this!
    shebearncub

Answer by shebearncub at 9:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My almost 6-year-old son still cannot stay dry all night. I've tracked it down and it is more than 50% of the month. He doesn't accept pull up, he says that it is dipper. I bought bed pads from Leaps and Bounds, but I had all the pajamas wet and the covers wet next morning. It was driving me crazy the amount of laundry. I did some search and I realize that Leaps and Bounds has also a called Dir Nights Bedwetter. My son things that it is a night underwear, even though it is bulky. I now that it is now the solution for the problem, but I'm not ready yet to wake up during the night until he is ready, so the alarm is not an option for me, these are suggestions if you don't want the alarm or medication. Good Luck!
    tuquinha

Answer by tuquinha at 7:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my son is 8 and still wears the night time pull ups to bed. he doesnt wake either. his father had the same prob i guess until he was 10 or so. just try to wake him in the night to go and keep a plastic sheet over his mattress. i have found doubling his bedding helped. a layer with a plastic sheet over another layer. that way if it did happen in the night before he woke we could pull off the wet ones and he would have dry ones underneath.
    Anonymous