Is responding to a mailing for donations asking for more junk mail?

I got a mailing from St Jude Children's hospital with those little address labels in it. Well normally I ignore these things but St Judes is one of the charities I would like to support assuming I had the money too. They are only asking for $10, which as lame as it sounds we will be able to afford after our tax return and I would like to send the money.

Do you think that by replying to this mailer that I am just opening myself up to more junk mail, which I hate, or will it have no effect?

Should I just send an anonymous $10 check to the address listed or is that even more lame?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you send a personal check they still have your address, and a money order or whatever you won't know if they received it. I'm afraid you will be opening yourselves up to more junk mail or even more frequent mailings from that charity, although this is just a guess about the charity, I don't know about it in particular. I sent a Katrina donation to a reputable religious group and told them do not put me on a mailing list or share my address. I started getting calls - which I was finally able to stop- and about once a month mailings even though I have written and called and asked them to stop.

Answer by Bmat at 4:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Boy you can see where my head is today, I didn't even think about the address on the check itself! Thanks for pointing that out. Now I feel really dumb lol.

Guess I'll just wait until I win the lottery and donate a big chunk then =)
    Anonymous

• St Jude doesn't share information, I donate to them monthly. They are actually located about an hour from me and they are my Favorite charity!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'd send cash. If it is only $10. Seriously.
    Anonymous